Did you know that 26th August is celebrated as Women's Equality Day? It is a day specifically designed to honor the equality of women around the world. In this blog, we will be telling you more about the day, so keep reading.
The Women's Equality Day recognizes the efforts of women around the world. In addition, the aim of celebrating this day on 26th August every year is to remember and commemorate gender parity across the globe. You should also know that it was on this day that women in the US were granted the right to vote in the year 1920.
We all must appreciate the bravery and courage of women worldwide more. Hence, it makes sense to dedicate only one day to honor that. Also, we as women must demand and urge society for continuously efforts and receiving equal opportunities, especially on this day. Continue reading the blog to learn more about Women's Equality Day!
What is the History of Women Equality Day?
In the 19th century, women in the US could not inherit property and did not get the same wages as men. This was a reason for distress for women in the US, while other countries like the UK and Finland recognized the right to vote for women in the early 20th century. However, the US only started considering the efforts of women after they participated in World War I.
Many women's rights groups pointed out that while Europe was giving women the due rights, the case wasn't the same in the US. Giving women the right to vote was required by the 19th Amendment. On the 50th anniversary of the passing of the 19th Amendment, the National Organization of Women held a nationwide strike for the rights of women, which subsequently came to be celebrated as Women Equality Day.
How to Celebrate Women Equality Day?
- You should sign up for voting if you haven't already. Since the day began to be celebrated on the day, women got their right to vote in the US, this is a great day for you to take this step as a responsible female citizen of your country.
- A good way to celebrate Women Equality Day would be to learn about female leaders of the past and present, too. Moreover, we must always remember that these brave people fought for the rights we all enjoy today. You could also visit some special exhibitions related to women's rights day around your area.
- If you're someone who runs their own business, then you can use this day as an opportunity to celebrate the women who work for you. You can also start formulating a plan that would ensure gender parity in the workplace and ensure that all the women at your workplace feel appreciated.
- You can organize a collection drive for women who are underprivileged or require support. A large number of women around the world are still victims of inequality and need our support. You can also do charity personally if you have the resources to.
- You should support a female-led business on the occasion of Women Equality Day. You could choose any local and sustainable business and decide to contribute to their growth in whatever little way possible.
- We must all look around and thank the incredible women around us for their contribution to our lives. These women could be your teachers, mentors, colleagues or, friends, and more. We must tell them a big thank you for all that they do for us.
Why is Women's Equality Day Important?
There is great significance of Women's Equality Day, which reminds us of the need for equality among men and women in all spheres of life. So, let's look at the significance behind celebrating Women Equality Day:
Women's Equality Day is a day for activism where we discuss the need for gender parity. We should also recognize how far we have come in our journey. On this day, we should always encourage one another to continue the fight for parity for women.
Many women around the world continue to bear injustice and suffer, which is why it's our duty to remain consistent in our efforts for the rights of women. You must also step up on this day and create awareness about the sections of women in society who desperately seek your help and remind yourselves that the war against injustice isn't over yet.
Even today, there are so many challenges that women face, and there are a lot of sectors in which we don't experience equality. Because of these reasons, we must keep voicing our challenges. We should talk about them as much as we can, especially on Women's Equality Day.
We should go around and encourage the younger generation to become more resilient. We should feel inspired to deal with ordeals courageously as women. We should remember that it's our duty to overcome the barriers we face as women and fight the fight always.
26th August Women's Equality Day is a day to applaud all the women achievers out there and lay a foundation for a future with complete gender equality.
What is the Theme for Women Equality Day 2023?
The theme for 26th August Women's Equality Day 2023 is "Embrace Equity." This is a theme highlighting the importance of gender equality and the growth of the economy. The world should know that gender parity is a basic human right. You, as an individual, are entitled to this right whether you are a man or a woman.
Also Read: Born With A Womb: Women are Expected to Do Everything!
From the discussion above, it's clear that Women's Equality Day is an occasion of joy and appreciation. A world without women would be a lost cause, which is why we must celebrate our lives to the fullest. May we continue to be strong women, and may we raise them too.
If topics on women's care, female empowerment, and more catch your attention, head to The Voice of Woman blogs today!