Most of us have experienced that tingling sensation in our bodies, especially in our hands, arms, legs, and feet. Some must have experienced rarely while others have experienced frequently.
The medical name of the tingling sensation is paresthesia. Tingling sensations are usually normal if they happen in certain situations such as different temperatures, or at extreme emotion rarely.
But if it happens more than usual it is something to ponder upon. Mostly tingling sensations are mild and temporary thus it is not something to bother about.
More often, these tingling sections are caused by the pressure level at that area in our bodies. As soon as pressure level becomes normal tingling sensations also stop. But if these tingling in hands and feet appear without any specific cause it may be the sign of some underlying conditions.
Also, the sudden and uncontrollable tingling sensation especially during an unstable emotional state can also be the sign of panic attacks in such cases one should seek immediate medical help.
This article will guide you about all you have to know about tingling sensation in hands and feet.
Causes of tingling in hands and feet
There can be various causes for tingling in hands and feet depending on the duration of your tingling sensation. tingling can last from a few minutes or can persist for a longer time.
The main reason behind these tingling sensations is the change in the pressure of our nerves pressure on nerves can change due to various reasons. It can be long-lasting or vice versa depending upon its cause.
It is better to identify the cause for the tingling sensation at the earlier stage so that one can prevent the underlying serious condition. Always remember, someone has rightly quoted “prevention is better than cure”.
Various causes of tingling in hands and feet are:
- Medications: some strong medications can have tingling sensations in hands and feet as their side- effects. Usually, it is considered normal but it is always best to take advice from your doctor. In case of serious or long persistence of these tingling, you should ask your doctor to provide you alternate medications.
- Uncomfortable clothing or footwear: wearing too tight clothes or not breathable fabrics closed footwear can compress your muscles causing the tingling effect.
- Sitting in the same position for a long time: you must have observed after coming out of a movie theatre or meeting room causes tingling sensations.
This happens because you restrict your body to be in a certain position for a longer time due to this your muscles get locked causing tingling sensations.
These Trembles are due to sitting in one position for a long time or sitting uncomfortably does not last long and usually disappear once you relax your body.
- Diabetes: according to the reports, about two-thirds of the people who suffer from diabetes also undergo nerve damage. This nerve damage can cause mild to severe trembles in arms, legs, feet, and hands. There is also a specific term for this known as diabetic neuropathy. It means when the nerve damage is caused by diabetes.
- Other than diabetes there are also many other diseases that can cause trembles. Some of them are neuropathy, migraine, Raynaud’s phenomenon, multiple sclerosis, stroke, transient ischemic attack (mini-stroke), seizures or convulsions, hardening of the arteries, and underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis).
- Injury or a fracture: injury or fracture often compresses our nerves which causes such tingling sensations.
- The lesser or abnormal level of essential vitamins and salts: some vitamins and salts are essential for the proper functioning of our nervous system, due to their abnormal or lesser amounts can cause such trembles. These salts and vitamins include Vitamin B-12, potassium, calcium, or sodium.
- An insect or animal bite.
- Placing pressure on a specific nerve in a particular area: there can be several reasons which can apply pressure on our nerves and cause these tingling sensations. Some of the reasons are scar tissue, enlarged blood vessels, infection, or a tumor that can all place pressure on a nerve. Similarly, inflammation or swelling of the spinal cord or brain can place pressure on one or more nerves.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and tobacco
- From the toxins found in seafood: seafood can contain heavy metal which can be extremely dangerous for our nervous system. Toxins found in seafood can cause heavy metal poisoning which can result in tingling sensations.
- Fibromyalgia: it is a long-lasting condition that causes a tingling sensation, body pain, and chronic exhaustion along with many other symptoms.
When should I worry about my tingling?
Tingling sensations include common symptoms such as burning, tickling, itching, feeling dizzy, or suffer muscle spasms, or you have a rash, crawling feeling under the skin. Feeling these symptoms for a few minutes or for a few hours is common. And there is no need to worry about them.
But some major symptoms like:
- Inability in walking
- Losing control of your bladder
- Inability to see
- Slurred speech
- Severe pain and weakness
- Losing consciousness or feeling faintness
- Injuries at back, neck or head
- A problem in concentrating and thinking
- Unable to feel change temperature around you
- You are unable to find any specific cause for it
If you observe these symptoms then you can not ignore them and it is the time to call your doctor immediately.
How do I stop my hands and feet from tingling?
Obviously, in severe symptoms, one should seek immediate medical help. However, for the mild symptoms, one can look out for these remedies to stop your hands and feet from tingling.
- Give your body a good amount of rest. Resting your body will help your nervous system relax.
- Take a good massage with some relaxing oils. It will help you relax.
- Use ice packs in case of swelling
- Heat packs also work to loosen your muscles and help with pain
- Have a good exercise routine. Here are some exercise routines that are easy to follow.
- Have a good amount of sleep.
- Lead a good and healthy diet. Also, know about some veggies to make your diet healthy.
Look out for the symptoms and act on time!