Some people just love the green lady while others can’t bear it on the plate. Ladyfinger is one of those green vegetables that is cooked in almost every house in many ways.
Ladyfinger is not just about taste but also has a rich nutritional value. Many people don’t give this green vegetable the value it deserves as compared to other greens. If you don’t like okra, after knowing its nutritional value, you will start appreciating okra benefits. Packed with Vitamin A, C, B, calcium, iron, proteins, magnesium, folic acid, fibre, etc. okra is one of the healthiest vegetables available.
Let’s get to know about okra benefits
- Okra benefits for digestion: Okra is rich in dietary fibre and so is very good for our digestive system. It not only facilitates the process of digestion but regulates a proper bowel movement, prevents constipation and speeds up detoxification.
- Prevents heart diseases: In most cases, high levels of cholesterol are the reason for heart problems and heart attacks. The fibre present in ladyfinger ensures a good level of good cholesterol and lowers the level of bad cholesterol. Since it ensures the cholesterol levels in our body, it prevents heart attacks. Okra helps in reducing lower cardiovascular diseases. The presence of magnesium in okra also regulates blood pressure in the body.
- Anti-cancer properties: Okra contains a lectin that lowers the growth of cancer cells in the body. Research indicated that okra can avoid breast cancer by 63%. Okra is very good for health as it helps a bit in curing the most dangerous disease that is cancer.
- Okra benefits for pregnant women: Pregnant women need all the essential nutrients in a good quantity for the healthy growth of their child. Folate or Vitamin B9 is one of the essential nutrients present in okra that lowers the risk of neural tube defect, and also helps in the development of a healthy brain and spin of the fetus. Okra is hence a very essential vegetable that must be consumed by a pregnant woman.
- Okra benefits for diabetes: Eating okra helps to regulate blood sugar levels by slowing down the rate at which the sugar gets absorbed in our intestine. Many organic diabetes medicines are made from roasting okra seeds in countries like Turkey. Ladyfinger is one of the best vegetables for diabetic patients.
- Boosts immunity: Okra contains Vitamin K which is healthy for our immune system and bones as well. It boosts the metabolic rate of the body and prevents many diseases and ailments.
- Improves eyesight: Okra is known to improve the eyesight. It contains nutrients like Vitamin A and beta carotene. Okra also prevents problems like cataract and defend against age-related eye issues.
- PMS symptoms: Yes it is true, having ladyfinger at the time of PMS is very helpful. Okra has a good content of calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin B6. it cures all the symptoms of PMS like fatigue, cramps, anxiety, and headache.
- Migraine attacks: Okra has a high content of lysine, magnesium and amino acid that is good for a migraine patient. It minimizes migraine attacks and the severity too.
Okra benefits for skin
Okra is surprisingly great for the skin. Here are few tips to use okra for glowing and healthy skin:
- Skin glow: Eating okra is not only good for your health but also for great skin. Okra is also used in many of the beauty regimes by big cosmetic brands. Okra is a full package of nutrients that are supplied to the skin as well. You can make a face pack from ladyfinger.
All you have to do is mix okra powder with water in a bowl. Apply it all over the face for 15-20mintues and rinse well with warm water. Doing this twice a week will make your skin healthy and glowy.
- Anti-aging: Okra can stop your skin from looking dull and aged. You can make a face pack by following simple steps to get rid of the signs of aging. Slice 6 okras and boil it in water for 10minutes.
Then add a tablespoon of yogurt and a few drops of olive oil to make a paste. Refrigerate it before using this pack. Using this pack twice a week will vanish all the signs of aging.
Okra benefits for hair
Not just skin but okra will make your hair all smooth and healthy. Here is how okra helps you to achieve great hair:
- Shiny hair: Okra can make your hair shine like what is seen on televisions. Just boil some okra in water and let it cool down and settle. Then instead of conditioner use, this water after the shampoo and your hair will shiny beautifully. It will also make your hair smooth and frizz-free.
- Healthy hair: Since okra is a power pack of all the nutrients, using this on your hair will make your hair nutritious and healthy. From root to tip it makes the hair looking all beautiful and healthy. It heals all the damaged hair and prevents hair loss too. Okra water is fuel for your hair.
- Dandruff problems: As we know, dandruff is the result of dryness and flaky hair. Okra re-hydrates the hair and all dandruff will be gone. It keeps the scalp healthy and strong.
Now you know that that ladyfinger is not just delicious to eat but a health package in so many ways. So next time don’t make faces when your mother tells you that she has cooked okra for you. Enjoy eating it knowing it is providing you so many nutritions.