Some people are prone to headaches. They get a headache due to many factors like weather, exposure to bright light or sun, loud sound, and oversleeping. Headache due to oversleeping is a problem for many. Its a strange thing but it is true.
Oversleeping can give some people a headache. When our body is in a habit of sleeping a fixed number of hours then a disturbance in that routine sometimes aches the head which can be highly troubling.
Headache due to oversleeping
Most of us do not put an alarm on weekends. We like to wake up organically without any interruption. But this no alarm wake up can be the reason for headaches and groggy feeling.
Oversleeping is some people’s headache trigger. It is strange but absolutely normal. If you are one of those who gets hit by a headache due to oversleeping then here we will let you know all about why it happens, how to get relief and precautions.
Causes of a headache after sleeping too much
Here are some of the scientific reasons for getting a headache due to oversleeping:
- Serotonin disruption: Oversleeping has an effect on our neurotransmitters in the brain called serotonin. It helps to maintain the circadian rhythm which is the natural pattern of sleep and wakeup. It is like that the brain is signaling your body about when to turn on and off. When a person oversleeps, he/she disturbs this pathway. You are not waking up but your brain has already woken up. This activation results in the functioning of the body in a normal way like getting thirsty or hungry. Headache in this case could be because of dehydration or hunger.
- Sleep disorder: You may have disorders like insomnia or sleep apnea. These disorders result in the creation of certain proteins in the body that stimulate our nervous system and we are more likely to have migraine attacks on waking up. Whereas sleep apnea is a condition where oxygen is not able to reach your brain. This lack of oxygen supply to the brain causes headaches.
- Anxiety: Headaches are directly related to our anxiety issues. Mental issues like depression and anxiety are major causes of insomnia or oversleeping. Scientifically proven, drop-in stress levels can lead to migraines. Having lower stress levels lead to oversleeping and that leads to headaches or migraine.
- Bruxism: Some people have the issue of bruxism while sleeping, which is teeth grinding. This habit makes the head and neck muscles tensed. This muscle tension leads to headaches on waking up.
- Snoring: Snorrers are prone to get headaches quite often. When we have a sound sleep we tend to snore and snoring results in inadequate oxygen supply to our brain. Hence, snorers tend to have a heavy head the following day of having a long sound sleep.
How to get relief from oversleeping headache
Getting relief from oversleeping headaches is easy. Here are a few tips to counter that headache you have caught after a heavy dose of sleep:
- Reflexology: Reflexology is a therapy where if you put pressure on certain points of your hands or feet, it helps with many problems. So if you put pressure on the headache point, it will be very helpful to give you relief from your headache. It is a no medicine way and targets to heal from within.
- Fix your bad timing: Well, precaution is better than cure. If your headaches on sleeping for longer hours then it is best to fix your bed timings. Get 8hours of sleep and then wake up. Do not try to sleep more as it hits your head hard. Maintain the habit save yourself from a headache.
- Lavender oil: Ayurveda believes in lavender oil to relieve headaches. Apply lavender oil on your pulse points and it will give you relief from headache. Essential oils have very positive effects and have endless health benefits.
- Ginger: Ginger is the natural pain killer. Add ginger to your morning tea or juice. Drink it slowly while savoring it. Ginger helps greatly with headaches. It helps to reduce the inflammation of blood vessels in the head.
- Yoga: Yoga is the key to many aches. On waking up when your head hurts bad, sit down in fresh ai and do some Pranayam. Breathing exercises will ensure a good oxygen flow into the brain and will hence provide relief from headaches. Simple Pranayam along with cat pose, downward-facing dog pose, and gentle neck stretch can help you with the headache due to oversleeping.
- Rehydration: Headache’s major cause could be dehydration. So when in the morning you wake up and your head’s blasting, sit down and a few glasses of water. Rehydrating your body will help.
How to stop oversleeping and how to prevent headaches?
Our lifestyle constitutes a major part of our healthy well being. Here are a few tips to add in your lifestyle to help you with oversleeping and that headache due to oversleeping:
- Fixed bed timing: Do not make changes in your sleep timing. Be strict with yourself and go to bed and wake up on the same fixed times to avoid getting that headache in the morning. Make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep.
- Say no to alcohol: Alcohol is one of the many reasons of our oversleeping. If you are drinking before sleep then you may end up sleeping more than required so it is best to avoid alcohol before sleeping when you have a sensitive head.
- Relax your mind before sleeping: As mentioned above, anxiety and depression are a few reasons for insomnia or oversleeping. Indulge in an activity that will relax your mind like reading, writing, listening to music, etc. your mind should be relaxed before snoozing off.
- Create a relaxing atmosphere: Make your bed neat and tidy with a cooling temperature. Lights should be dim and no gadgets should be kept around. Create a soft atmosphere for a good night’s sleep.
- Keep a glass of water next to you: As mentioned above, dehydration could be the cause of headaches. So make sure to drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up.
Side effects of oversleeping
Some people do not get a headache due to oversleeping so they might feel that it is okay for them to snooze off more than required. But one must know that oversleeping has a lot of side effects:
- Cognitive impairment
- Increased inflammation
- Increased pain
- High risk of obesity
- High risk of diabetes
- High risk of heart diseases
- Higher all-cause mortality
Sleeping adequately is very important for our health but sleeping too much can have an opposite effect like headaches. Oversleeping must be avoided in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.