Sodium bicarbonate is also popularly known as Baking soda which is a white colored crystalline substance. It is commonly found in our kitchens and used to prepare many dishes such as Cakes, Bread, etc. but do you know that this ingredient can also be used to fight many skin-related issues?
How to Use it?
Baking soda can be easily found in our houses and we can put it to various uses and scrubbing face with baking soda has a lot of benefits:
- Got yellow teeth? use it to reduce the color and get the white pearls.
- Smelly shoes? Chuck some of the powder into them and voila no smell anymore.
- Need Instant Air Freshener? Use a handful of Baking Soda around the corners of the room.
- Washing fruits and vegetables in baking soda are good to prevent and wash off any germs or bacteria.
- Got bad acne scars that won’t go away? Baking soda will be useful here, to lighten them or get rid of them completely.
Why Baking Soda?
Baking soda is prepared by using carbon dioxide, water, ammonium, and various other chemical ingredients.
- Baking soda is basic.
- It is non-flammable.
- It has various foaming and cleansing properties.
- Helps in neutralizing the stomach’s acidity.
Due to these properties Baking soda is not only a good component in industries or limited to our kitchen and bakeries, but it can also be used to treat various skin problems.
Baking Soda on Face
We are striving to come out of a pandemic, and we are coming out of it wearing masks. It must be accepted that the face mask will be around us for a while now. It is not new that everything has its pros and cons, on one hand, it protects us from the Coronavirus but on the other hand, many people report issues of Maskne or acne caused by wearing masks for longer durations of time.
Companies are working hard to create products to combat this problem, some have already made certain products available for the public for this. But when we have a similar product available in our own houses, why should we invest so much in those products. The solution is Baking Soda. Do you know you can easily leave your face washed and use Baking Soda instead?
How to Use Baking Soda for Your Face?
Tips for using Baking Soda:
1. Comfort your itchy skin
Wearing masks for a longer duration of time may lead to itchy skin. We are also instructed that we should resist touching our faces. Baking soda is known to be effective in calming the chronic itchiness that we experience. Using it in our shower has proven to be useful in easing itchiness.
You can also make a paste of some baking soda and water and apply on areas that need special care or are affected. After applying a considerable amount to the concerned area wash it off with some lukewarm water.
2. Balance the pH level of your skin
Due to the alkaline properties of baking soda, it allows us to balance out the pH level of our skin. The ideal pH for skin is between 4 – 7. The Ideal pH can differ for various parts of her body. Acne, however, can be a result of high pH and it is recommended to use a gentle cleanser for this issue.
3. Baking soda as a cleanser
You can use baking soda to wash your face instead of a cleanser. To use it as a cleanser, mix 1 or 2 teaspoons of baking soda and ½ to 1 teaspoon of water in a bowl and form a paste. Use it as you normally use a cleanser and wash it off with water and use a dabbing method to dry your face.
4. Baking soda face scrub
To battle can, many dermatologists suggest using gentle exfoliators for the skin, though there are many exfoliators or scrubs available in the market that pledge to be useful for acne but most of the time they end up stripping our skin of hydration. But did you know an alternative to face scrub, Baking soda? Yes, it is. But always make sure to deeply moisturize your face afterward.
Yes, to baking soda masks
While facemask shields us from the harmful virus, we let baking soda to deal with the Maskne or Acne.
Face Masks you can try
Here are the different face masks you can try:
1. Baking Soda and Water
- Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda into your regular cleanser.
- Add a few drops of water into that to form a paste-like consistency.
- Apply this mask to your face and keep it on for about 15 minutes.
(you can also do a Patch test beforehand to make sure your skin is not reacting to the paste)
- Wash your face with some lukewarm water and Pat dry.
2. Lemon- Honey Mask
- Use half a lemon in 3 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Add honey to it and form a paste.
- Apply to your face gently.
- Wash off using warm water after 10-15 minutes of application.
3. Aloe Vera Mask
- Take some Aloe vera pulp and 1 teaspoon of baking soda to it and form a paste
- Apply it on the acne or acne marks
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash off with water.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Mask
- Mix Baking Soda with diluted Apple cider vinegar
- Apply the paste on affected areas
- Wipe it out with a wet towel or wash your face with water and apply a moisturizer.
These masks have proven useful to many and recommended by many. It is not necessary to try all of them together, find out which works best for you and they use it 2-3 times in a month to get desired results. However, using these steps for your acne does not mean that they make you ugly. Acne is normal and does not make anyone any less. These are only for you to try if you want to. Always remember you are beautiful with or without them.
Washing your face with Baking soda is good and effective in so many ways. So, get your Baking Soda masks on, make some tea or coffee, grab yourself a book, or binge on your favorite series. Create a pampering night for yourself and while you’re doing all this don’t forget to smile.
Also Read; Benefits Of Using Baking Soda For Skin