Baldness can be defined as excessive loss of hair strands from scalp and even absence of hair. The most common form of baldness occurs with increasing age.
This is one of the familiar causes of baldness associated with hereditary hair loss. Baldness is usually noticed on the scalp, but it can happen anywhere on the body where hair grows.
What Causes Baldness?
While there are several reasons which are associated with hair loss, some of the familiar reasons are discussed below:
- Aging: Aging causes several changes to the body including one’s hair. Most people experience hair loss due to aging though the amount of hair loss is largely dependent upon genetics. As we age the hair becomes thin and fall and is not replaced by new hair.
- Hormonal changes: One of the first signs of hormonal imbalance is shown by thinning hair. This can happen due to menopause, increase in stress level, pregnancy, under-active thyroid, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). In such cases hair products containing caffeine can help in stimulating blood flow to hair follicles and prevent the conversion of testosterone hormone to DTH in hair follicles.
- Chronic illness: Sometimes prolonged illness leads to massive hair fall. It is also known as Telogen Effluvium. Diseases like typhoid, cancer can cause major hair loss. It can also be experienced while recovering from illness such as Jaundice. Lack of proper attention in such cases can lead to bald patches on the head.
- Family history of baldness: One of the principal reasons which causes baldness is hereditary reason. If there is a history in one’s family where parents or family members generally become bald after crossing a certain age it is quite likely that a young person of the same family will also encounter the same fate. However, maintaining a healthy life can reduce the chances.
- Excessive usage of chemicals: One’s lack of proper maintenance of one’s hair can turn into a worst nightmare. Exposing one’s hair to a lot of styling, hot tools, toxic chemicals without taking proper care may accelerate hair fall which can eventually lead to baldness.
Baldness differs among men and women. We will specifically discuss female pattern baldness.
Hair loss among women has greater impact than hair loss in men as a woman with less hair or bald scalp is still a stereotype associated with prejudice. It is not socially acceptable as well to a great extent. It causes an enormous amount of distress to a woman’s normal course of life. Most women post menopause suffer from gradual thinning of hair.
The principal type of hair loss in women is called Androgenetic Alopecia or female pattern baldness. It can result in gradual thinning of hair in the part line, followed by an extreme hair loss from the top of the head. Unlike men, a woman’s hairline does not recede in most cases.
Symptoms of Baldness
- If you experience a handful of hair coming out while combing or shampooing even after being gentle there can be a symptom of potential baldness. This sudden loosening of hair can possess great threat to your health.
- Gradual thinning of hair is one of the most common types of hair loss. This can affect both men and women with increasing age. Women notice a broadened part in their hair while men’s hairline gradually recedes from the forehead forming a ‘M’ shaped pattern.
- Some people experience coin sized patchy bald spots. It can occur on scalp, beard or eyebrow and can be accompanied with itchy painful skin symptoms.
- Some medical treatment such as chemotherapy to cure cancer can result in full body hair loss
When to seek professional help?
You should immediately consult a professional as soon as you notice:
- an abnormal pattern of hair fall
- If you feel itchy painful swollen scalp
- Sudden hair loss can also indicate a hidden medical threat.
While most forms of baldness do not have any cure, few can be cured by treatments such as -Certain medicines to promote hair growth (such as minoxidil and finasteride), Hair transplants, Scalp reduction etc. However Natural remedies are considered to be effective and are the most recommended to follow in order to get rid of baldness and hair fall treatment at home.
Easy Home Remedies for Bald Hair
These remedies are simple and inexpensive compared to expensive medical treatments. They involve almost zero side effects. If these remedies are followed regularly at an early stage effective visible changes can be seen. However, do an allergy test before using any ingredients.
- Castor oil: It is well known for its ability to grow thick and lustrous hair. Castor oil when massaged onto hair and scalp regularly increases blood circulation throughout the scalp by stimulating hair roots.
Castor oil has anti fungal properties which help to control dandruff and reduce hair fall. Take 2-3 tablespoon castor oil and apply it to your scalp, leaving it overnight. Do it 2-3 times a week consistently to see results.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is an age old secret in beauty regime for its nourishing properties . This oil is extremely rich in antioxidants thus is proven extremely beneficial for the scalp. It nurtures the scalp, soothes itchy scalp and protects the hair follicles from damage caused by external agents.
It contains fats that strengthen hair strands. Take 4-5 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil and massage your scalp with it so that the oil is absorbed into the root. Rinse it off after an hour with a mild shampoo.
- Olive oil: Also known as liquid gold olive oil has moisturizing and nourishing properties that improve hair texture, promotes hair growth and an effective element in hair loss treatment.
However, olive oil used for cooking is not the one you should be applying to your hair. Only extra virgin olive oil is suitable for the scalp. Massage sufficient amounts of olive oil onto your scalp for fifteen minutes, leave it for half an hour before washing it off. Follow this process once a week.
- Jojoba oil: It is a well-known cure for hair loss treatment. It helps to promote rapid hair growth. You can directly apply jojoba oil onto your scalp or mix it with your regular oil. It should be done 2-3 times a week if you are facing heavy hair fall.
- Tea tree oil: Extremely effective in curing any kind of infection. It has antibacterial properties which fights bacterial or fungus growth. It is also used to treat dandruff which can lead to hair fall. Add 5-6 drops of tea tree oil to your regular oil, keep it for an hour and then wash it off.
- Aloe Vera gel: Also known as the miraculous plant Aloe Vera gel protects hair from harmful UV rays and also has anti-inflammatory properties which reduces dandruff and promotes hair growth. You can apply fresh aloe gel or buy an organic alternative to massage your hair 2-3 times a week. You can also make homemade shampoo by using aloe Vera gel to treat hair fall at home. All you need is aloe gel + wheat germ oil + coconut milk + honey.
- Onion juice: It is extremely beneficial for hair growth because onion juice contains sulphur which is useful for hair loss treatment. It helps in hair growth thus an effective treatment for baldness at home.
The anti fungal property of orange juice reduces hair fall caused by dandruff. Mix onion juice with a table spoon of honey (as it has nourishing and anti-bacterial properties), apply this onto your scalp and leave it for one hour before washing.
- Methi: It is an age-old Indian herb used to treat a host of hair issues. It is an effective and herbal cure for baldness and hair loss treatment at home. Fenugreek seeds prevent hair loss and promote hair growth. You need to add 2-3 spoon methi powder with curd and apply the mixture evenly onto the scalp and repeat it twice a month.
- Egg yolk: Eggs should be there in your diet everyday as it contains peptides that stimulate the growth of hair follicles and makes hair silky, shiny, smooth. All that is required is to separate the egg yolk from egg white, beat it, mix it with honey and apply onto your hair.
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry): The benefits of amla are countless It fights hair loss and promotes hair growth. Doctors’ advice to drink amla and shikakai juice in an empty stomach to reduce hair fall and toxic elements from the body. You can take dried amla powder and mix it with an oil, boil this mixture, store it in a container and massage your scalp regularly with it to reduce hair loss.
- Neem: It has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties. It helps in curing dandruff and also kills mice. It is a wonderful product for hair loss treatment at home. Boil neem leaves in water, store the water and use it to wash your hair.
Home Made Hair Packs to Reduce Hair Fall
- Mix organic amla + shikakai powder with water and apply onto scalp
- Add neem powder + bhringraj powder with curd. It is effective for intense hair fall.
- Mix amla + shikakai + neem powder + methi paste with aloe gel
- Henna + egg + curd can be applied to get rid of hair fall.
Prevention is Better than Cure
Take good care of your scalp, avoid harmful chemicals, hot styling tools maintain a positive outlook, avoid using hot water to wash hair, exercise regularly to improve metabolism, say no to junk food, eat healthy include green vegetables , meat , egg , food rich in protein which help to build hair follicle, vitamin A,B,C rich food such as nuts, citrus food, food rich in iron and silica content such as beans oats to your diet to maintain a healthy strong hair.
Also Read: Reasons Why You Should And Shouldn't Shave Your Head!