Makeup is not merely an accessory, it is a way of expressing yourself in terms of your personality; makeup is an art in itself. And with the evolution of the world and the change in people’s mindsets, makeup is now gender-neutral and anybody can do it! After all, what’s wrong with feeling confident and yourself!
But not all makeup is necessarily safe for your skin, especially if you have an oily skin type; maintaining the balance of your skin, can get tricky if you wish to apply makeup regularly. So, we have the best oily skin makeup tips to help you out with your love for makeup!
The do’s and don’ts
Before we dive into the details of oily skin makeup tips, here is a short insight for you as to what you should and shouldn’t do if you have an oily skin type:
- Wash your face daily, especially before sleeping. This will open up the pores of your skin overnight.
- Moisturize your skin regularly to keep it hydrated.
- Do not pick at your skin for that will only worsen it.
- It is recommended to use oil-free products for your skin and avoid harsh skincare products as much as possible.
- Do not over-cleanse your skin or put it under pressure.
- Develop a gentle skin-care routine instead of a complicated one.
Oily Skin Makeup Tips
Here are some simple yet highly effective oily skin makeup tips to make things easier for you:
1. The Base
- Always clean your face before applying any sort of makeup; cleansing is a must before starting with any makeup at all.
- For an oily skin complexion, you should start your makeup by priming your skin first after washing it. An oil-free primer is highly suggested for application to avoid skin irritation.
2. Keep an Eye Oout for Cakey Makeup
Overdoing your makeup is something you should be the most careful about. Too much powder or foundation will then result in your pores pushing more oil, thereby ruining your skin more.
3. Eye Makeup Hack
Instead of using concealer for your eye makeup, switch to the same primer that you use for your skin to avoid creases and redness on your already sensitive skin.
4. Use the Right Foundation
An oily complexion does not require more oil. So, it is best to not use a liquid foundation. Using a powder base foundation would be helpful because it would help in absorbing the oil and would therefore stay on your skin for a longer time.
5. Blotting Sheets to your Rescue
Always carry a set of blotting papers wherever you go because no matter how perfect your makeup is, the oil from your skin will start to show in some time.
But there is just the right way to dab out the oil from your skin without removing any makeup. Instead of rubbing the blotting sheet over your face, press it on the oily area of your skin, and simply roll it off in a gentle manner. And voila, you got rid of the oil without touching your makeup!
Which Makeup Products to use and Which Ones to Stay Away From?
Having oily skin means you have to take utmost care of your skin. And for that, you must make sure that you spend your money on the right and safe products which suit your skin. Be it skin cleansers, moisturizers, or makeup products, you need to be cautious about what you are applying to your skin. So, make wise choices while buying makeup for oily skin.
- Make sure that you invest your money in oil-free products only. You don’t want more oil seeping through your skin than there already is, now do you.
- Avoid alcohol-based products as much as possible because these tend to make your skin greasier and enlarge your pores even more. These are also not recommended for acne-prone skin types.
- Stick to translucent powder to avoid a makeup overdo.
- Choose your toner carefully as this is an important part of your special oily skin makeup routine. And same goes for your setting spray; use a mattifying setting spray for a lasting and smudge-free makeup routine.
- Do not waste your time or money on rough face scrubbers or too expensive face washes. Instead, go for the natural ones, or better yet, ask your dermatologist to recommend a healthy and natural face wash and scrub for your oily complexion.
- Look for “long-wear” or oil-free matte-prone foundations such as that of Laura Mercier’s or L’Oréal Paris for a lasting effect and a friendly effect on your skin.
Try These Oily Skin Makeup Hacks At Home
Besides an oily skin makeup routine and a product guide for the same, we have some highly helpful and super fun oily skin makeup tips at home that you can try out!
1. A Sweet Face Mask
Take some honey, yes you read it right, honey. Due to its antibacterial properties and the ability to absorb moisture from skin without harming it, honey is one of the most commonly used products for home remedies.
Apply a thin coating of honey on your face and let it sit for 10 mins. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water. This will help give your skin a refreshing lift and is also very helpful to lessen acne.
2. The Magic of Cosmetic Clay
These are known as healing clays for a reason. They help absorb oil deep from the pores in your skin and are also completely natural and safe to use. You can even make a face mask out of French green clay, a rather popularly used cosmetic clay, because, unlike peel-off masks, this one would cause you absolutely no irritation and is easy to apply too.
3. Stay Hygienic
Never forget to wash all your makeup tools after application and usage. From brushes to blenders, it is important to wash them at least once in a while to avoid any kinds of skin infections or irritations. If you apply makeup with the use of your hand, always wash it before touching your skin or your makeup.
4. Make your Blush
Unsure about which blush to buy? Well, instead of all the fuss looking for a blush for oily skin, why not just make it at home! All you need is lipstick and some shea butter. Choose a lipstick with the shade you would want for your blush and then melt it. Now, infuse it with shea butter in a small container and let it cool down.
There you go, you have a natural and pretty blush for your skin! Oily skin can be a drag at times, but provided you maintain a gentle and fixed makeup routine and follow these oily skin makeup tips, you have absolutely nothing to worry about! Be it a bold look or a minimal makeup day, you won’t have to think twice before putting on makeup anymore, for now, you have these amazing hacks to rely on.
Also read- Makeup Tips For Oily Skin