We know right! Jewelry and jewelry cleaning is a priority. They have a fixed place on your most important days and at times, they’re an asset. Just wear a beautiful piece and you’ll be the showstopper! Be it having the most precious place in your closet or stealing the scene in front of guests, they definitely deserve all the attention.
However, no matter how happy you’ll be when you get your hands on a beautiful piece, deep down you’ll know that it won’t be the same forever. If you have accepted this and wish to continue that way, well you may but here’s a surprising announcement: You can ACTUALLY use them and still keep them in their initial condition forever! Doesn’t sound true enough?
Well try and see for yourself! Here’s how you can keep your jewelry in top-notch condition and that also without spending much and without giving it to anyone else!
Every kind of jewelry needs to be cared for differently. Gold, silver, diamonds .. all have their different jewelry cleaning methods! Yes, it’s not that easy but trust me, it’s worth it.
Let’s start with- Gold:
To your surprise, Gold jewelry cleaning at home is quite easy!
You will need:
- A bowl
- Warm water
- Some dishwashing liquid
- A soft toothbrush
Time: Only 20 minutes!
- Warm 2 cups of water.
- Fill the bowl with 2 cups of warm water
- Add a few drops of the dishwashing liquid in the bowl
- Put the gold in the solution for 15 minutes.
- Lift the gold after 15mins and use the toothbrush to scrub the spots and dirt gently.
Just by following these simple jewelry cleaning steps, you can keep your gold jewelry’s shine forever.
Next comes- Silver:
Silver is perfect for the everyday go-to purposes but if you’re a silver lover, you’re probably not oblivious to its easy dulling nature. However, don’t worry, as we have the right steps to help you maintain them!
What you’ll need:
- baking soda
- soft lint-free cloth.
That’s all! Let’s jump into the silver jewelry clenaing steps:
- Take 3 parts of baking soda.
- Take one part of the water.
- Mix the three part baking soda with one part of water.
- Wet the silver with a bit of water.
- Apply the mixture with the lint-free cloth on your jewellery.
- After 10-15mins rinse and clean the jewellery.
Next- Diamonds and other stones :
Cleaning gold and silver seemed pretty easy, didn’t they? Well, if you thought it couldn’t get any better, try cleaning your diamonds and stones!
Here’s how to do diamond jewelry cleaning:
- Soak them in a gentle, degreasing solution like water with a few drops of mild dish soap. Some other options are window cleaners or glass cleaners.
- Use a soft-bristled brush ( preferably new and kept only for this purpose) and clean them.
- You may also use the old baking soda technique (as instructed above for cleaning silver)
- Ammonia can do the job too ( mix it at 1:3 ratio with water as it’s a strong chemical). Also, remember to wear gloves if you are using this method.
Well, that marks the end of the jewelry cleaning procedures but if you thought it couldn’t get any easier, time to rethink maybe? Apart from cleaning your jewelry, if you maintain them regularly(don’t worry, just a few precautions daily), that will pretty much reduce your efforts while cleaning to half. Curious about the maintenance? Here they are!
- While going out always put on the jewelry only after you are done with your clothes. Clothes like T-shirts can easily get stuck in the delicate jewelry and any push or pull in the process can harm both.
- Don’t do dishes or laundry with your jewelry on. The dishwashing liquids or cloth detergent contain harsh chemicals that can cause serious damage to your precious jewelry.
- Don’t wear your jewelry when you’re in the gym or doing some physical activity as the sweat may cause the spark to wear off.
- If you’re into the weekly jewelry cleaning, we’d suggest you use your own jewelry cleaners instead of using the questionable brands available. Most commercially available jewelry cleaners contain harmful chemicals that can be bad for jewelry in the long run.
- Store your jewelry in a proper place where it doesn’t have any threat of getting physical damage or touch with any chemical or wooden surface.