Yoga as a mode of therapy has become extremely popular. Yoga is a holistic approach to our well being as it takes into consideration the various factors like correct postures, meditation, positive thinking, proper breathing and a balanced diet.
It is a fact that losing weight is easier than gaining weight, but yoga is effective in the latter department too. People who are skinny for them it is very difficult to maintain a healthy weight. Just like overweight people, underweight people also have their own struggles.
“You look like a matchstick”, “Do you have an eating disorder?” , “ Eat something”, these are the common comments they hear from the people in their daily lives.
There are many reasons due to which a person is unable to gain weight like weak digestion, malnutrition, less appetite, weak immunity and other underlying diseases. Having a full-fledged and nutritious diet is very important for gaining weight but doing yoga along with it gives better and positive results.
How yoga exercise helps us to gain weight?
Yoga not only helps to bring physical and mental disciplines to achieve a healthy body and peace of mind but also helps to manage stress and anxiety and keeps you relaxed. Yoga helps to gain weight by balancing the hormones which are very important.
It is recommended for skinny people to add yoga exercises in their daily routine. It not only helps to increase the appetite and improves digestion but also helps to boost stamina.
Yoga helps to absorb nutrients from the food by enhancing the circulation of blood and oxygen. It also helps to tackle problems like weak immunity, malnutrition and weak digestion. It does not matter whether a goal has to be achieved, doing yoga exercise is very beneficial for our whole body.
It strengthens and tones our muscles by stretching and relaxing. If someone is practicing yoga for the first time, then try to follow proper guidance.
YOGA FOR WEIGHT GAIN
There are many guidelines that should be kept in mind before starting yoga:
- Don’t do yoga exercises on a full stomach.
- Set a fixed time for yoga every day. You can take one day leave in a week.
- Do it for yourself. Just focus on what you are doing and believe in yourself.
- Push yourself while doing any pose but don’t force yourself.
- Last but not least, be patient gradually you will be able to achieve your goals through yoga.
YOGA POSES (ASANAS)
Supta Baddha Konasana
This asana is also known as reclining butterfly pose. It is very beneficial for weight gain. It helps to improve the flexibility of inner thighs and knees.
It helps the digestive system healthy by making digestion easy and keeps the body calm by releasing stress from the mind. From this, one can keep the body in control.
Method of doing:
- Sit on a mat with legs straight. Slowly bend your knees and bring the feet soles together.
- Bend yourself down and lie on your back
- Keep the hands straight or put it on the stomach.
- Take a deep breath and relax your body in this pose for 5 minutes.
It is a sitting pose asana which is also known as a diamond pose or thunderbolt pose. It is the asana which is practiced after lunch or dinner. It is an inhalation exercise that helps in releasing stress and makes the digestion easy.
It gives the mind positivity and relaxation. It is beneficial in gaining weight by maintaining the metabolic rate.
Method of doing:
- Fold the legs backward and sit back on your heel.
- Place the hands on the knees and keep the back, hands and neck straight.
- Take a deep breath and keep this position for 5-10 minutes. After that get back to your own position.
- Increase your time if you want and relax your body.
This asana is also known as shoulder stand pose. It is a very effective pose for gaining weight and helps to strengthen the muscles of the body.
It also helps in blood circulation in the brain. It is very beneficial for the functioning of the thyroid gland thus it is helpful for weight gain.
Method of doing:
- First of all, lie down and make your hands and legs straight.
- Place the legs together and make an angle of 90 degrees from the floor.
- Place your hands on the sides of the palm. Shift your weight to the shoulder.
- Hold this position for 3-4 minutes and repeat the process again for 2-3 times.
It is also known as cobra pose. This asana helps to improve the appetite and blood circulation of the body. It strengthens the spine and makes the body calm by relieving stress.
Method of doing:
- Start this pose by lying down towards the stomach.
- Place your hand near the chest and make your hands and legs straight.
- Push upwards with the help of the hands and chest.
- Take a deep breath and relax your body.
- Do this 2-3 times for 2-3 minutes.
This pose is also known as a fish pose. It mainly improves the cardiovascular system of the body. It helps to regulate the digestive system and make digestion easy.
It stretches and stimulates the organs of the belly. It mainly stretches the front part of the body. It is very helpful in weight gain because it stimulates the thyroid gland.
Method of doing:
- Start by sitting in a padmasana. Now lean down back till the head touches the floor
- Keep your back off the floor and hold your toes. Place the hands under the hips.
- Hold this position for 2-3 minutes and then get back to the original position.
Yoga mudras for weight gain
Yoga mudras are basically hand gestures that help to regulate the energy in the body. Well described in Ayurveda that our five fingers represent the five elements of the body- earth, fire, water, air and space.
Yoga mudras have psychological and emotional healing properties. There are some mudras which also help to gain weight. All these mudras should be done for 30-40 minutes every day and by sitting comfortably.
This mudra is also represented by ‘gesture of earth’. This mudra is easier than other mudras but it is essential to know the proper technique of doing. This is performed with the help of the ring finger and thumb together.
The best time to do this mudra is early morning and evening. It makes the proper functioning of the stomach and pancreas that helps in gaining weight.
This hand gesture means the ‘spirit of life’. It has many benefits for the body and helps in weight gain also. It is done with the touch of thumb, ring finger and little finger together.
Its main advantage is to put internal organs in motion. Keep inhaling and exhaling your breath while doing this mudra. It gives positivity and energy to the body. Doing this mudra daily for quick results.
It is done by placing the middle and ring finger with thumb together. It is beneficial for the people who have the problem of constipation and piles.
Apart from this, it helps in the proper regularity of the parts of the body. It should be done by sitting comfortably on the chair for 30-40 minutes.
These were some of the yoga asanas which can help you to get rid of those annoying comments from your friends.