Underwear is not a topic you would find people discussing openly in a casual conversation. Most of us find it too embarrassing to share our choices in undergarments with anyone and thus, a lot of times, any concerns we have often go ignored.
Though it is understandable to not be comfortable with talking about underwear with just about anyone, we should not neglect any issues that we may be facing as a result of it. It might not seem that important, but even such a simple thing as wearing tight underwear can lead to many health issues.
Choosing the right underwear is more difficult than you think. While it can be tempting to just choose an underwear based on how pretty and sexy it makes you feel, you should not decide without considering your safety, too. Wearing underwear that’s too tight can seem flattering, but could actually do more harm than good.
Pros and cons of tight underwear
You may have seen all these photos of models looking absolutely gorgeous wearing tight underwear. No doubt, underwear that fits snugly can make you feel cosy and give you the erotic vibe you are aiming for. It can enhance your features and emphasize the traits you are most proud of.
But there are both pros and cons of tight underwear, which should be compared before making a choice. It is easy to forget this when you find the underwear that just suits you perfectly, but it is necessary to do it so that you don’t end up suffering adverse effects later.
Here are a few negative effects of wearing underwear that’s too tight for you:
- There is a direct correlation between underwear and hygiene. When it comes to those with vulvas, a 2014 study found that this could lead to yeast infection. This occurs because wearing tight underwear can lead to moisture being trapped between your skin and the cloth, resulting in a breeding ground for bacteria, which can lead to health issues such as yeast infections in the vagina.
- The above reason could also lead to Urinary Tract Infections in those who have vulvas, though this is not fully confirmed.
- For people with vulvas, wearing tight underwear could also lead to a reduction in blood circulation, that can be quite harmful.
- Wearing tight underwear while exercising can often cause chafing, which means that the skin around your genitals turns sore due to constant rubbing on the fabric of the underwear.
- Another link between underwear and hygiene is observed when you wear underwear such as shapewear which fits too tightly and can cause you to avoid using the washroom because removing it is a hassle. Holding in urine occasionally may not seem like a big deal, but when done over time, it leads to serious issues such as kidney problems, prostate enlargements, etc.
Tips for choosing underwear
Reading about all the serious damage just wearing the wrong kind of underwear can do may have made you rethink your underwear choices. It is okay to be surprised by this knowledge since most of us are never taught about this in school, even during health education lectures.
But, we should be informed about these things! Underwear is not a dirty word or a shameful topic. It is something all of us wear on almost a day to day basis, leaving the times we may choose to go commando. So, we must be aware of all the common underwear mistakes that we should try to avoid.
Knowing how to choose the correct underwear for you can reassure you and put you in control the next time you go lingerie shopping.
Here are a few tips for choosing underwear:
- Try to go for natural fabrics as often as you can, cotton is your best option. Cotton is gentle on your skin and absorbs excess vaginal discharge to avoid spreading infections. The number one rule of underwear and hygiene is to choose a material that will not smother your vulva and instead, will give it room to breathe.
- Choose well-fitting underwear that does not cause chaffing, especially when it comes to working out. Underwear that’s too tight makes you exercising sessions end in reddened skin, which can put a damper on your post-workout high. Always go for underwear that is not too loose or too tight, but fits just right while also allowing a healthy supply of air.
- Understand that the same size is not equivalent across all brands of underwear. Just because the small size of one brand fits you well does not mean that the small size of another brand will be the same.
- One type of underwear does not do for all occasions. Make sure than you have the appropriate underwear for being worn with different dresses. Also, make sure that you choose an underwear which suits your body type.
- If you always find yourself pulling up your underwear, go for a smaller size.
- If your underwear curls around your waist, opt for a larger size of underwear.
- Different types of underwear can make you feel a different way about yourself. Just because you know that you have to keep health in mind, does not mean that you can’t choose something that is both gentle and attractive. Just buying underwear that has some lace or a cute design can lift your mood and make you feel confident in yourself.
- The most important of all the tips for choosing underwear is to go for something comfortable for you, something which suits you according to you and makes you feel the best. After all, you know your body best and know just when to listen to it.
Spoiling Yourself With The Best Underwear For You
The correct underwear is more than just a piece of cloth. Underwear can be a way to empower yourself and be a part of your self-care process. By skipping wearing tight underwear and going for underwear that’s just the right fit for you, you are putting yourself first, ensuring that you want to take positive decisions in all aspects of your life.
So, the next time you find that cute little pantie on your lingerie shopping trip, go try it on—not because you want to wear it for someone else, but because you want to wear it for yourself!