As soon as a lady becomes a mother, she wants to do everything for her child. She wants to provide everything best to her little one. When a baby is born, for initial months, he/she is dependent on the mother for feed. Breastmilk is said to be a complete meal for a newborn baby.
As a breastfeeding mother, you sometimes ask yourself whether or not you are producing an ample amount of breastmilk and is it nutritious enough? Well, though god has created our bodies in such a way that we are able to produce a good amount of breastmilk yet there are quite a few tips and tricks by which you can boost your breastmilk quality and quantity.
It is important for you to know that breast milk is produced on the supply and demand basis. How much milk has been consumed from the area is directly linked with how much milk will be produced. The process functions simultaneously.
Following are a few tips for you to follow to make sure your baby gets nutritious milk:
- Stay hydrated– it is important to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily. The more you are hydrated, the more liquid your body will produce. Breast milk has a good percentage of water to make sure you drink enough to accommodate that.
- Eating a healthy diet– what you will eat is what you will produce. Breastfeeding mothers need extra 500calories per day. Make sure to consume a good amount of proteins, vitamins and iron-rich foods to supply a rich diet to your offspring. Add a good amount of milk, dairy products, fennel seeds, chicken-meat, garlic, eggs, and all healthy vegetables and fruits. Consuming a healthy diet helps to produce healthy milk for the baby.
- Vitamin supplements– never skip on any vitamins that your doctor may have prescribed you while you are on breastfeeding. Your daily vitamin doses may include calcium, vitamin D, folic acid and iron.
- Fenugreek seeds– these seeds can do wonders for breastfeeding mothers. These are pretty effective and are easily available in capsules or seed form. They can be added to food items as well. They are very healthy for the baby.
- Healthy lifestyle– when a baby is dependent on the mother for feed, their lifestyles move parallel. So keeping yourself happy and relaxed will help produce a good quality of breastmilk. Take nap, read a book, go for a walk or just listen to good music. A relaxed mind means a relaxed and healthy body.
- Lactation cookies– one can bake lactation cookies that are very beneficial for breastfeeding mothers. They are available in markets as well and can also be baked at home. Find the recipe here.
- Foods to avoid– in order to supply good quality breastmilk to your child, there are certain things that you must avoid in your diet. Say no to alcohol, high levels of caffeine, spicy foods, peppermint, parsley, and sage. These items in your diet may disturb your breastmilk supply.
- Skin to skin– have skin to skin contact with your baby from time to time. It increases warmth between you two and produces hormones that are essential for producing healthy breastmilk.
Increase breastmilk supply
Many mothers complain about not being able to produce enough breastmilk. In order to maintain the supply, it is important to nursing your baby for at least 8-10 times a day. Using a breast pump after you are done nursing will also help in producing fresh milk in the body. It is important to empty your breast from time to time. If you are still facing a problem with a lack of production of breast milk it is important to visit a lactation professional for help.
Breastmilk digests faster than pacifiers in about 1.5-2hours. So feeding your baby at regular intervals is a must. Nurture your baby and feel good yourself. Remember, it’s all in your hands.