Pregnancy is a crucial and the first step to motherhood. A mother bearing her child goes through a lot at the time of pregnancy. Some feel nauseous all the time while others constipation and heartburn. Each day is a surprise for a mother-to-be. She cannot predict what her health is going to be like the following day. It is not easy but by the end, it is all worth it.
Heartburn or acid reflux is one of the common complaints by the childbearing mother. Since pregnancies directly impact the digestive system, sometime the acid may seep back up, particularly when the pregger is lying down or have had a large meal. Also, in the third trimester when your baby bump is pretty big, it puts pressure on the stomach, hence resulting in acid deposit in the esophagus.
Home remedies to treat heartburn:
- Consume smaller meals and avoid over-eating. Do not drink water while eating.
- Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly.
- Never eat and lie down. Eat a couple of hours before going to bed at night.
- Avoid some of the eateries like chocolates, fatty food, spicy food, carbonated beverages, caffeine, and citrus fruits. They trigger acid reflux.
- Take long walks especially after eating. It will boost your digestion.
- Wear comfortable and not tight fitted clothes especially at the abdomen.
- Maintain aa healthy weight. Over-weight is harmful.
- Use pillow while sleeping to elevate your upper body.
- Try to sleep on your left side. Sleeping on the right will position your stomach higher to the esophagus.
- Eat yogurt or cold milk as you feel acidic.
- Taking the help of professionals adopt some acupressure techniques and yoga to curb the problem of heartburn. But always check with your doctor before taking such help.
The other very common problem amongst pregnant women is constipation. It is due to abdominal pain or discomfort, infrequent bowel movements and the passage of hard stools. Unfortunately half of all pregnant women have constipation at some point during their pregnancy. Worry, anxiety, minimal physical exercise, and low fiber diet are usually the causes of constipation at this time. It can also be due to hormones that reflex the intestinal muscle and also by the expanding uterus pressure on the intestine.
Home remedies for constipation:
- Take a high fiber diet which includes fruits, raw vegetables, cereal, whole grain bread, and bran.
- Drink lots of water at this time and especially when you are on a high fiber diet. Coconut water, fresh juices, and lime water are good to consume at this time.
- An inactive mother has greater chances of constipation. Exercise for about 20-30 minutes each day that can be walking or simple yogic exercises.
- Start taking probiotics for constipation. Probiotic-rich foods include yogurt, sauerkraut, and kimchi.
- Drinking warm milk and warm lemon water also helps in regulating bowel movement.
Even though you are overjoyed by the new life growing inside you, there may be days when you are annoyed by your uneasy health due to heartburn and constipation. Taking care of yourself is very important. Look out for what you are drinking and eating, it all adds up to your healthy well being at the time of pregnancy.