Nothing frustrates a woman more than taking out the phone camera for a selfie and having to meet the unwanted friend of hers – the double chin. Even men can be annoyed by having a double chin on their faces. Having it can make your face look weirdly shaped and make your pictures look drastically unpleasant. People with double chin often feel that they are overweight as the persistence of it usually creates an illusion of a person being fat – that however, is not true.
A person could be lean, skinny or perfectly fit and still have double chin resting on their faces. It can create a feeling of sadness and a lack of confidence in many people. Taking pictures gets less common for such people because they are so overshadowed by the fact that they have a double chin. For years, people have been victims of having double chin and not knowing how to get rid of it. Well, we might just be your savior. Read our article to find out!
How Does A Double Chin Form?
A double chin, also acknowledged as submental fat, is a usual condition that happens when a layer of fat forms below your chin. It is often linked with weight gain, but you don’t necessarily have to be overweight to have one. Genetics or looser skin as a result of aging may also cause a double chin. If you have it and want to get rid of double chin, there are several things you can do.
1. Exercises To Get Rid Of Double Chin
While there’s no scientific proof that chin exercises work to get rid of double chin, there however is anecdotal evidence. Here are some double chin exercises that may help strengthen and tone the muscles and skin in the area of your double chin. Repeat each exercise given below daily 10 to 15 times.
1. Straight Jaw Jut Double Chin Exercise
- Incline your head back and look toward the ceiling.
- Push your lower jaw in the forward direction to feel a stretch under the chin.
- Hold your jaw just for a 10 count.
- Relax your jaw and return your head to the neutral position.
2. Ball Exercise
- Place about a 9-10-inch ball under your chin.
- Press your chin down against this ball.
- Repeat about 25 times daily.
3. Pucker Up Double Chin Exercise
- With your head tilted backward, look towards the ceiling.
- Form your in such a way as you’re kissing the ceiling to stretch the area beneath your chin.
- Stop the exercise and bring your head back to its normal position.
4. Tongue Stretch
- Looking straight, stick your tongue out as far away as you can.
- Lift your tongue upward and then toward your nose.
- Hold this for 10 seconds and release.
5. Neck Stretch
- Incline your head back and look at the ceiling.
- Hold your tongue to the roof of your mouth and hold still.
- Hold it for 5 to 10 seconds and release.
6. Bottom Jaw Jut
- Tilt your head in the backward direction and look at the ceiling.
- Then turn your head to the right.
- Slide your bottom jaw in the forward direction.
- Hold this for 5 to 10 seconds and release.
- Repeat this process with your head turned to the left.
2. Decreasing A Double Chin Through Diet and Exercise
If your double chin is attributable to weight gain, losing weight may make it smaller or help to get rid of double chin. The best method to lose weight is to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
3. Some Healthy Eating Tips
- Eat 4 servings of vegetables daily.
- Eat 3 servings of fruits daily.
- Substitute refined grains with whole grains.
- Avoid any processed foods.
- Go for lean protein, for example, poultry, fish, etc.
- Similarly, go for healthy fats, like olive oil, avocados, nuts.
- Avoid all fried foods.
- Consume low-fat dairy products.
- Decrease your sugar intake.
- Exercise portion control.
As the number drops on your scale, your face may get thinner. These were the things you can do and employ in your everyday life to slowly get rid of double chin and get the perfect face that you desire. It will give you confidence and a better-looking face shape. Maintaining a healthy diet and proper exercise are the key steps in making improvements in your body in any area.
However, remember that having a double chin is never the end of the world. As good as it is to practice to get rid of double chin, you should know that having it does not define your beauty, and thus should not make you feel bad or upset.
Also Read: Can a Double Chin Ever Go Away