Lemongrass essential oil is not known to many and some are unaware of its so many uses and benefits. Obtained from the lemongrass herb, it has a strong fragrance of earthly undertones with a citrus scent like that of lemons.
Lemongrass has vital uses from the fragrance of cosmetics to soaps to moisturizers and the list goes on. Lemongrass essential oil benefits include hair, skin, and fragrance. Let us take you deeper into the vital uses and benefits of lemongrass essential oil.
The Richness of Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass essential oils are rich with insecticidal, antifungal, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties. There are numerous ways to use lemongrass essential oils including tropical, and internal applications. It is well known for its aromatic and therapeutic qualities. It is not only limited to skin and hair uses but is also used for the natural healing process and to clean houses. The scent of lemongrass essential oil is fresh, lemony, grassy, earthly, and sweet.
Lemongrass Essential Oil Benefits for Skin
Lemongrass is an organic oil that is great for the skin. Its numerous properties mentioned above are very healthy for the skin. Here is the lemongrass essential oil uses for skin:
- Cleanser: Lemongrass is rich with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It is an amazing skin toner with cleansing properties. You can make an easy toner by mixing 5-6 drops of lemongrass essential oil in a bottle of rose water and use it twice a day like a toner. To enjoy its cleansing properties, you can drop a lemongrass essential oil to your face wash every time you wash your face. It will deeply clean the skin making it smooth and radiant.
- Soothing properties: Lemongrass is rick with soothing properties. After long hours in the sun, our face feels irritated and chapped. To calm the face, lemongrass is just the right choice. Just take a cotton cloth to dip it in a solution of water, 3-4 drops of lemongrass essential oil, a tablespoon of rose water and apply it on the face. Lie down for a bit and your skin will be back to normal with no burning sensation.
- Cure for oily skin: If your face tends to produce a lot of natural oil and feels greasy all the time then lemongrass is the right choice for you. Lemongrass essential oil will make the oily skin oil-free and will reduce the production of excess oils from the skin. After every face wash, take a cotton ball, spray some rose water and 2 drops of lemongrass essential oil, slightly apply it on the face and enjoy long hours of oil-free skin.
Lemongrass Essential Oil Benefits for Hair
Lemongrass essential oil is not only great for skin but hair as well. There are so many benefits of lemongrass essential oil for hair:
- Dandruff issues: Lemongrass essential oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. Dandruff is easily treatable with this. Just add 3-4 drops of the oil with any of the regular oil of your choice (like coconut, sunflower or olive oil). Rub it on the scalp one hour before washing. Use it twice a week and enjoy a flake-free scalp.
- Hair loss treatment: Mixing 2-4 drops of lemongrass oil in a cup of coconut oil and applying it on the scalp every night before going to bed will rapidly reduce hair loss It is a very effective treatment to make your hair healthy and nourished.
- Shiny hair- To make your hair shiny, silky, and nourished, lemongrass is the right choice. Mix half a teaspoon of lemongrass oil into almost a cup of your regular shampoo. Blend them well and pour the mixture into a bottle. Uses this shampoo like you usually do. Always shake the bottle well before use.
Lemongrass Essential Oil Benefits for A Healthy Body
Not just limited to your face and hair, lemongrass oil has other healthy uses as well. Let us take your through that:
- Organic Mouthwash: You can make your own mouthwash with lemongrass essential oils. Mix 3 drops of lemongrass oil with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Rinse your mouth with this mixture. Your mouth will be fresh and bacteria-free. Use this mouthwash once every day. It is also helpful in treating many oral problems like thrush and cavity.
- Pain killer: Lemongrass is a powerful pain reliever. If you have a headache, dilute 3-4 drops of lemongrass oil with a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil and rub it on the forehead. Both the massage and the strong scent of lemongrass oil will relax your headache.
- Fever reducer: If someone has a high fever especially children, it can easily be treated with lemongrass essential oil. Mix 2ml lemongrass oil with 100ml of carrier oil like olive oil sunflower. Rub this oil on the soles of your feet, chest area, and neck. Doing so will slowly reduce the fever and will make the body more energetic.
- Insomnia: If you have sleep troubles or insomnia then lemongrass oil can help you. Mix a few drops of this essential oil into a carrier oil like coconut oil and massage your soles before hitting the bed at night. The strong scent and the massage will help you to sleep tight.
- Perfume or body mist- Lemongrass has a strong scent. You can make your own body mist or perfume by mixing a tablespoon of lemongrass oil in half a cup of water and a tablespoon of rose water. You this body mist every day after the bath and enjoy long hours of freshness.
Lemongrass Essential Oil Side Effects
Since lemongrass essential oil is a concentrated oil extract, it can have some side effects on sensitive people. Using lemongrass oil can cause the following side effects on some people:
- Allergic reactions like sneezing or itching
- Increased amylase
- Increased bilirubin
- Toxic alveolitis
Disclaimer- Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers can only use lemongrass essential oil after consulting with a doctor. Lemongrass essential oil is one of the best essential oils found. It has so many uses and is quite beneficial. So get your little bottle of lemongrass oil today and start using.
Also Read: Jasmine Oil: The Underestimated Essential Oil