Due to the sudden outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, companies have enforced work from home on their employees. While working from home is a more comfortable option; it may pose a challenge for many, especially those who are not used to working remotely.
So, whether you are forced to work from home, or it’s part of your regular job, we’ve listed down some super effective productivity hacks for working from home
List of productivity hacks for working from home
Create the perfect workspace
The key secret to successfully work from home is to create a personal workspace for yourself. It may seem very convenient to work while laying on your couch or your bed but this could really hamper your productivity.
You need to create an office-like environment that would give your mind the perception that it’s working time and no personal time.
It’s important to carve out the perfect workspace for yourself to remain alert, organized and achieve maximum productivity. Your workspace should have good lighting, a spacious desk and a comfy chair that helps you maintain a sturdy posture.
You would be spending a lot of time here. So, make sure you create an ideal and personalized space for yourself.
Plan your work schedule and set a routine
There are no two ways about the fact that planning leads to maximum productivity. After setting up your workspace, the next step is to form a stable routine.
Before, you start planning for the day, consider the following points:
- Note at what time of the day you are most productive – you could be a morning person, or a night person.
- Note the time period when you are fully energized and refreshed. You can reserve that time for doing the most boring and toughest tasks.
- Establish your schedule based on the type of work you do, and where your clients and coworkers are located.
- Plan yourself some rewards and relaxation time throughout the day.
Now that you have planned a work schedule; it’s time to establish a routine for yourself. To kickstart your work day routine, get ready as you were to head to the office.
Wake up early, shower and groom yourself, and get dressed. These practices would signal your brain that it’s time to start your day and get to work.
Get dressed appropriately
If you plan on working in your PJs and shorts, then it’s definitely a bad idea. Even if you’re working from home; it’s important to dress up appropriately to create the vibe of your workspace. It is one of the better productivity hacks for working from home.
You may really find it a very tedious job to pass off your comfortable clothing and change into something more formal; but your sweatpants and T-shirts would only make you feel sluggish, sleepy, and unmotivated. Therefore, dressing up in a more office-like outfit would set the tone for your work.
Avoid distractions to stay focused
When you are working, you are bound to face a host of distractions. Distraction is the killer of productivity. The productivity hacks for working from home to reduce various distractions are:
- Turn off email and social media notifications. The little popup sounds are enough to distract you and break your focus.
- If you are affected by the background noise in your house, then try putting your headphones on.
- Hang a do not disturb sign for your flatmates or family members so that they won’t disturb you.
- Declutter your workspace often as a messy desk could distract you from working.
Collaborate and communicate with your coworkers
Communication is the key whilst you are working from home. To effectively collaborate with your team members:
- Gather all the required data along with the supporting collateral to start operating.
- Ensure sure the words are phrased correctly while communicating in writing. Add more meaning, more clearly describe stuff and think of what the message would look like to the other person.
- Communicate everything clearly on video calls and virtual meetings to avoid misunderstandings.
- Make room for discussion and queries by your coworkers to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
Recreate the work environment
It may initially seem difficult to work remotely when you’re accustomed to the buzz and madness of the workspace. But, you don’t have to lose that vibe just because you are working from home.
You can adopt the following tips to create a virtual office environment:
- Keep checking up on your coworkers through phone calls, emails, texts, and video calls.
- Organize virtual coffee sessions over zoom calls to catch up with everyone. This can substitute for your water cooler chats.
- Consider setting up virtual lunch dates and dinner dates to substitute for your lunch breaks
These simple tips will help you socialize as well as stay connected with your colleagues.
Take short breaks
If you have set yourself a routine, then you must’ve already planned yourself some breaks throughout the day. It is suggested to follow the 52 and 17 rule. Take a 17 minute break after every 52 minutes.
You can indulge in various activities during this 17-minute break. You can exercise a bit like doing squats or situps; go outside and take some fresh air; grab something to eat; surf your social media for a while or talk to any of your family members.
All of these activities would rejuvenate you, get your blood pumping and make sure you ‘re able to handle the next bunch of tasks with maximum efficiency.
Set limits for social media and emails
You may be tempted to check your social media every now and then, but it’s extremely important to stay away from it while you are working. It could turn out to be one of the major distractions which could really hamper your productivity.
You need to set boundaries on the usage of your social media and emails. Schedule a fixed time for checking your social media and emails. You can even put up a WhatsApp status that would let people know that you’re engaged in work.
So there are some of the best productivity hacks for working from home. Let us know in the comments if you have anything new.