Spotting grey hair can be highly intimidating especially when you are in your twenties. The occurrence of grey hair in your late thirties or in your forties is digestible but if it occurs before that then you are the victim of premature grey hair. That is the moment when you question God on why is it happening to you and what possibly can you do about it. Undeniably some people do embrace their grey hair no matter in what age they are in. In today’s world premature greying of hair is as common as cough and cold so it is important to make peace with your grey hair.
Reasons for premature greying of hair
- Genetics– apparently there is not much that can be done about the gift you got from our parents or ancestors. If your mother or father had started greying at an early age, then you should not be stunned if the same happens to you.
- Stress– high levels of stress can make your follicle use less melanin which pigments your hair. Stress is not in one’s control and so are the side-effects. But to an extent, one can self-counsel to stay calm and release stress.
- Vitamin D deficiency– lower levels of Vitamin D can directly affect your hair. It is important to keep a check on your diet and make it vitamin D rich by consuming dairy products, fish, orange juice and soya milk.
- Sun over-exposure– too much sunlight can cause hair to grey up faster.
After knowing about the reasons for early greying, let’s look at some home remedies to stop premature greying:
- Curry leaves and coconut oil– coconut oil is well known from ages for its wonderful benefits. It is an excellent conditioner for hair and also helps in hair growth. It provides the essential proteins to the hair. Boiling curry leaves to this oil will make it a magic potion for the hair. Its regular usage will never let the hair fade off.
- Ribbed gourd and olive oil– dice the gourd into small pieces and let them dry out. After 3-4 days of drying, add them to olive oil for a few days. Boil them together till it turns into black color. Massage this oil twice a week for great results.
- Onion ad lemon juice hair pack– right from the ancient era, onions have proved to be the best friends of our hair. Mixing it with lemon juice can do wonders for the hair in case of premature greying.
- Mustard oil– mustard oil helps not just in preparing delicious food but it is also great for healthy black hair. Massaging your hair with warm mustard oil before every wash can prevent your hair from greying.
- Amla juice, almond oil, and lemon juice– easily available and very beneficial, amla juice along with almond oil and lemon juice can greatly contribute to the health of your hair.
- Salt and black tea– adding one tablespoon of iodized salt into half a cup of black tea and massaging it to the scalp before washing the hair can help greatly in premature greying of hair.
- Rosemary and sage– these two herbs can be lifesavers when it is about premature greying of hair. Boiling half a cup of these to herbs in water and applying the potion as it cools down before every wash will leave your hair shiny black.
Home remedies can only be helpful if you faithfully follow them in your lifestyle. Taking a healthy diet is also as important as following any DIY for securing your hair from greying. For some, the boom of grey hair occurs rapidly, and in a short amount of time. But there is no definite cause to diagnose the reason for it. If you are too lazy to follow any of the above remedies, then dyeing is always a go-to option as long as its making you happy. At the end of the day, accept yourself the way you are. Feel beautiful inside out.