In the contemporary world we live in today, things like fitness and dieting have been made much easier, thanks to fitness apps, diet plans, calorie trackers, etc., due to the efficiency of which, we have become more aware.
The noom app is one such popular app that comprises similar factors as it gives its users access to the noom diet, i.e., a personalized weight loss plan that helps people to reach their desired goals concerning weight loss.
So, if you’re having a difficult time going through with your plan of losing weight, then this might just be the key to your problems!
What is noom diet?
Noom weight loss program is a program designed by the noom app that helps you to lose weight by providing you with a personalized or customized weight loss and diet plan, and access to virtual health coaches and professionals.
How does it work?
The primary goal being weight loss, the main method that noom uses is that of creating a calorie deficit, i.e., consuming less calories than you tend to burn each day.
Keeping that in mind, the app asks you certain basic questions related to your lifestyle like your height, weight, age, gender, etc., and based on your responses and the target weight you want along with the timeframe, it creates a diet plan for you which tells you how many calories should you preferably eat each day to reach your goal.
Once you purchase the subscription, your noom diet starts. Besides a custom diet plan, the app also provides you with information on health topics, lets you log your meals and track your progress, gives you weekly challenges, and even lets you monitor your blood sugar and blood pressure levels.
The app tends to use a unique system that classifies foods into three colors – red, yellow, and green, based on the number of calories they contain.
Here are certain examples that the app gives regarding which color includes what kind of foods:
- Meat products like bacon and ham.
- Oils and condiments.
- Snacks like french fries, chips, peanut butter, etc.
- Beverages like wine.
- Desserts and sweets.
- Low-fat dairy products.
- Healthy fats.
- Legumes and seeds like chickpea, quinoa, etc.
- Lean protein like grilled chicken, and fish like tuna, salmon, etc.
- Grains including rice, white bread, and pasta.
- Vegetables like spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, cucumber, etc.
- Fruits like strawberries, apples, blueberries, bananas, watermelon, etc.
- Whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, wholewheat bread, etc.
- Non-fat dairy products and dairy alternatives.
- Unsweetened beverages like coffee and tea.
The “green” food items are the least calorie-dense, thereby making a major portion of the diet as compared to the “red” foods which contain way more calories and should thus be consumed in lesser amounts.
The app does not allow a calorie budget that exceeds 1,200 calories for women and 1,400 for men.
Benefits of the noom diet
There are several advantages for implementing the noom weight loss program if you wish to lose weight:
- It does not restrict you from consuming any type of food, unlike most of the diet programs and apps that strictly recommended you do not eat certain types of foods at all. Noom, on the other hand, has an approach that is flexible enough to fit all types of food in your diet plan to some extent by not entirely restricting their consumption, and only recommending to eat them lesser than the “green” and “yellow” foods.
- Various noom reviews also talk about how the app’s social media platform is a great way of sharing as well as getting to know about the journey of weight loss of an individual.
- The app also has a library of recipes that allow you to select what kind of foods and recipes based on any food allergies that you might have.
- Its algorithm and techniques are quite efficient when it comes to implementing behavioral changes, thanks to the number of services it tends to offer that help to instill more motivation and inspiration in you.
Disadvantages of the noom diet
Like any other fitness and dietary application, this one has its drawbacks too:
- The subscription fee of the app is $44.9 for every month and not everybody would be willing or be able to spend the sum.
- The app is only available on smartphones which means that you won’t be able to download noom app for pc or tablets.
- Not all health and fitness coaches on noom have a certification from the National Board for Health And Wellness Coaching which renders them as not the most reliable experts to seek health and dietary advice from.
- All communication on the app is strictly virtual and the lack of face-to-face communication tends to make a difference as research suggests that the latter is considered to be more effective and helpful than the former.
But keeping the handful of drawbacks aside, the app is quite helpful and efficient and most of the noom reviews suggest that it is a great and safe way to lose weight as it not only provides a diet plan for you but also assigns you, virtual fitness coaches, helps to boost your motivation with weekly exercise and fitness challenges, etc.
Although there is some impending research on whether or not the noom diet is that effective or not, the existing amount of research does suggest that it is.
Besides, it also depends from person to person as everyone has their preferences when it comes to weight loss – how they want to carry the process out, what they want to do to implement it, etc.
Some might feel more inspired as well as in control with an app such as noom to keep their diet and nutrition in check. So, if you’re one of those who prefer that way, then there’s no harm in at least trying the app out, now is there!