It’s such a magical time when your best friend’s getting married. Everyone is happy, excited and emotional at the same time. It’s a time full of love and emotions and trying to have the most beautiful romantic wedding ever for your best friend aka bride to be. Things become even more beautiful when you are her bridesmaid. However, being a bridesmaid involved a lot of tasks to perform than you might know. We are here with this perfect article about what are your jobs as a bridesmaid and how to do them.
It’s a huge honour to be invited to stand with a dear friend on her wedding day. But you might also be asking yourself — what bridesmaid duties am I responsible for, precisely? Like, what are a bridesmaid’s responsibilities for the whole wedding? Well, you’re right about one thing at least, standing at the altar with a smile on her face is not a bridesmaid’s only job. Bridesmaid duties include being there for the bride during the wedding planning process, the bachelorette party and bridal shower, the ceremony and reception.
While that does sound like a lot, don’t worry because we’ve got the bridesmaid duties checklist you need.
Morning Of Wedding
- Arriving at the bride’s house ahead of time for the hairdresser and make-up artist.
- Being on hand to help in dressing younger attendants.
- Looking after a purse for the bride. Keep tissues, blotting paper, and a lip gloss/ lipstick to hand for quick touch-ups throughout the day.
- We also recommend you to pack an ‘emergency kit’ for the morning too. This can include plasters, rescue remedy and a sewing kit in case of any wardrobe malfunctions.
- When the bride arrives, the maid of honour will need to make sure everyone is in the right position behind her, ready for her entrance. Also, calm any excited little flower girls and pageboys by using bribery.
- Make any required adjustments to the bride’s veil and dress so that she looks absolutely gorgeous for her big entrance.
- Bridesmaids have very specific duties. The bride will follow you into the ceremony and generally sit near the front, ready for the procession back out at the end. Make sure young flower girls and page boys have their parents seated nearby.
- Once the bride has joined the groom, the maid of honour takes her bouquet and looks after it for the length of the service.
- When the couple signs the register, the maid of honour goes together with them into the vestry or side room, to witness the signing.
- On parting from the ceremony venue, the maid of honour and the best man take their positions behind the bride and her new husband for the recessional. Other older bridesmaids will be escorted by the ushers. Younger bridesmaids and pageboys will thus follow behind.
- Once you’re all outside, the maid of honour might have to arrange the couple and attendants for the photographs.
- Once at the reception, the bride might want the maid of honor to be a part of the receiving line. The purpose of the line is to let the guests meet the bridal party. It’s also to make sure that the bride and groom say hello and thank you to each guest.
- You also have the responsibility for looking after the brides’ bouquet, ensuring it doesn’t get damaged during the rest of the day.
- The maid of honor should also mingle amongst the guests during the reception, ensuring that they are enjoying themselves. In this way, you act as the bride’s back-up; since she will have only restricted time to spend with each guest.
- Although the speeches at the reception are generally a male prerogative, it is becoming more normal for the bride and bridesmaids to make a speech too.
- The first dance is exclusively for the newlyweds. However, it is traditional for the maid of honor to take to the floor with the best man and join the happy couple midway through the first dance.
- When the couple leaves at the end of the night, the maid of honor should be ready to take care of the bride’s dress. It is the maid of honor’s duty to make sure that it is returned safely. The other attendants’ outfits may need to be returned if they’ve been hired and she may well ask you to take responsibility for this too.
These are all the duties you have to take care of if you are the lucky bridesmaid of your best friend. Always remember to cherish these moments with a smile on your face, and make this day worth remembering for you and your friend too.