Crying is a baby’s way of communicating, you’ll know immediately if your baby is sleepy or starving. At times crying seems healthy, but your baby might sometimes weep immensely despite feeding. It can mean a different problem, such as teething or colic.
A baby might cry for many hours due to colic, which is the result of abdominal discomfort due to gassiness. The great news is that there are a few ways to calm your baby. Gripe water is one magical remedy to solve this problem as it works like wonders.
It has soothing characteristics for babies who have unsettled stomachs. Many parents consider it for their little ones. Yet giving something to consume other than breast milk to your baby is a thing that you should be cautious about.
But our main interest is, is gripe water for new born babies considered safe or not? Let’s learn more about it.
What is Gripe Water?
It is a herbal solution to soothe the baby’s symptoms such as gas, colic, teething pain, and hiccups. A baby is prone to feel stomach distress when not able to pass gas. Parents have used several variations of gripe water for ages, with today’s products focusing on quality elements.
Gripe Water Ingredients
In the market, there are many variations of gripe water for babies, but most recipes consist of a combination of various herbs, which includes:
Fennel, lemon balm, chamomile, licorice, cinnamon, and ginger
Also, the use of alcohol in gripe water is not found anymore in the resulting disapproval from parents and doctors. Few brands in the market also use unnatural sweeteners, which might be harmful to a baby’s wellness. Another ingredient found in the gripe water is mint oil in some Indian brands. It is accessible in diverse flavours like strawberry or orange.
Is Gripe Water Safe For Babies?
There is no definite implication that can confirm that gripe water is not safe for babies. Views vary on whether gripe water is adequate, as some people have seen it suitable for their babies while others have not.
Safety is the primary concern; the brands of gripe water that consist of ingredients like alcohol, unnatural sweeteners, or sodium bicarbonate is not healthy for babies.
To get a clear picture here is a division of some of the common ingredients used in gripe water for newborns and how they affect their health:
- Alcohol: Alcohol is not fit for a baby’s health and can result in developing a dependence.
- Sodium Bicarbonate: Well-known as baking soda. This can direct to a syndrome called milk-alkali, which causes a rush in the levels of calcium in the blood.
Since infants are wholly dependent on breast milk, babies are at higher risk of forming this condition, which can lead to kidney problems. It can prevent the natural pH level in your baby’s stomach.
- Sugar: Unnatural sugar can result in tooth decay and create habituation on sugar at an early age.
- Dill Seed Oil: This is a vital oil for providing relief from gas. Yet, some babies may be allergic to it. Precaution must be there if using this element.
It is advisable to give gripe water that is suitable for their condition. And it is better to consult a doctor before giving to a baby. You must make sure to read the ingredients noted on the bottle.
Most top brands in the market claim to use an alcohol-free ingredient. Also, a survey has discovered that gripe water marketed in India did include alcohol.
There are a few brands of gripe water that contain several natural ingredients to ensure it is harmless for newborns and infants that make it unusually mild for a baby’s digestive system. Such brands do not include components of gluten, alcohol, dairy, or parabens.
When Can Babies Have Gripe Water?
Gripe water dosage is essential to study. The portion you use each time should be according to the age of your baby. It is advisable to give gripe water up to six times a day with the following dosages:
- Infants and newborns three weeks to one-month-old: ½ teaspoon which is 2.5 mL
- Babies one month to six months old: 1 teaspoon, which is 5.0 mL
- Babies six months and more grown: 2 teaspoons that would be 10.0 mL
The producers assert that it is safe to give to newborns as young as one week. Though, it is not fit to give it to infants who are within the age of fewer than three weeks since their digestive system is yet maturing and is delicate. Some people also consider that babies should only drink breast milk or formula until they are six months old. So, the best thing to do is to ask your paediatrician before giving gripe water to your newborn.
Suggestions For Selecting And Giving Gripe Water
Follow these pointers to ensure you get the best kind of gripe water for your little ones:
- Make sure to go through the ingredients mindfully to secure that there is nothing your infant is allergic to.
- Be alert for any side effects.
- Consult with your doctor regarding the amount and the brand to be best suitable.
- Get a brand that applies as only natural ingredients.
- Don’t consider buying gripe water that includes alcohol.
- Understand the directions thoroughly and give the right dosage as approved by the paediatrician.
At the time of feedings, make sure your baby is straight to relieve gassiness. If you’re a breastfeeding mother, eliminating particular foods from your diet may also lessen fussiness in your baby, though there is no clear link.
Foods to exclude from your diet can carry:
To sum up: Gripe water for babies might not be the answer every time. You need to recognize why your baby is in discomfort. The next thing would be calming and comforting your little one by avoiding the use of any external agents. Yet, once you get the hang of it, you will know how to calm your little one.