Summer is a cue for beaches, Pina Coladas, ice cream recipe at home and parties. But do you know what else summer is a cue for? More and more ice cream! Yes! And we’re here to make your summer even better with the ultimate chocolate ice cream recipe at home. Ice cream is one of the most widely loved desserts.
So much so that even without summers, it still happens to be almost every other person’s favorite! With this amazing homemade chocolate ice cream, you’re going to get obsessed! Besides, homemade ice cream is also really beneficial in terms of proteins and low calories. So, let’s get right to it!
Tips Of Ice Cream Recipe At Home?
Let’s start with a list of things you’ll need for the recipe:
Ingredients and substitutions
You can combine milk and butter and use that as a substitute for heavy cream. But it is more recommended to go with the actual ingredient itself.
- Semisweet chocolate – 2 ounces, chopped.
This depends on your taste. If you want to go for a sweeter chocolate ice cream, then go for milk chocolate. But if you want something darker and more intense, then you should go for dark chocolate chips.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 2 tablespoons.
If you’re not using this, you could either go for dark cocoa powder or melted unsweetened chocolate.
There are quite a lot of options to consider as a substitute for this one. You could use organic cane sugar, coconut sugar, or even honey.
Half and half is the next best option in the place of whole milk.
- Egg yolks – 3, lightly beaten.
This is quite an imperative ingredient if you want the creaminess to be perfect. However, you can use soy flour, pureed tofu, or pureed avocado as a substitute if you want to.
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon.
You could go for vanilla beans (seeded) or even vanilla bean paste if you’re not using the extract.
There’s no substitute for this one.
Now, let’s get to the main part of making homemade ice cream:
- Start with the chocolate base by combining the cream and cocoa powder and whisking the mixture thoroughly. Then bring it to a boil. While constantly whisking, reduce the heat gradually and simmer for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and then add the chopped semisweet chocolate. Keep whisking until you get a smooth and silky texture. Then, add the remaining cream and whisk again.
- Now, start whisking the egg yolks together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Take a saucepan and add the milk, sugar, and sea salt to it. Whisk it over medium heat.
- Now, add ½ a cup of warm milk to the beaten egg yolk mixture and whisk till it gets combined. Make sure that the milk is warm and not hot.
- While whisking, add that egg yolk and milk mixture to the saucepan with the previous milk mixture.
- Keep stirring the mixture with a spatula and cooking it on medium heat till it thickens.
- Now, strain the thickened custard in the bowl with the other chocolate ingredients using a metal strainer. Keep stirring it till you combine it properly.
- Add vanilla extract and stir thoroughly again.
- Cover the vessel with a lid and let the mixture chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or better yet, overnight.
- Once the mixture has cooled down to just below room temperature, pour it into an ice cream maker. And churn it until it is thick and frozen, preferably for about 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer that to an airtight container and freeze for another 6 hours.
And voila, it’s done! All you need to do is be patient and then enjoy your delicious homemade ice cream.
You can always just have the chocolate ice cream without any topping in the classic style. But if you can’t do without toppings, then you should try some of these amazing options:
- Have your chocolate ice cream, most classically, with chocolate chips on top. You could also go for a combination of chocolate chips and confetti. Or just put some confetti or sprinkles on top.
- Drizzle the chocolate ice cream with white melted chocolate or go with a combination of white and dark melted chocolate. You could also drizzle some in a waffle cone and then scoop the ice cream on top!
- Pour some sumptuous hot fudge over your ice cream. If you don’t want that, then you could also use chocolate almond butter or Nutella as an alternative.
- Go nuts! For a crispy topping, sprinkle some nuts and almonds or even crushed pretzels on top. You could even use maple nuts, walnuts, or toasted hazelnuts.
- Pour some salted caramel sauce on top for a delicious twist. Or go for a butterscotch sauce topping instead. Either way, you won’t get enough of your ice cream.
- Sprinkle coconut shavings on top.
- For a fruitilicious taste, you could also pour some raspberry sauce on it. Or better yet, why not go with actual fruit toppings! Chop up some strawberries and raspberries and put them in your ice cream bowl. You could also use blackberries and cherries.
- Add a dash of orange or lemon zest for a tangy twist and a subtle flavor.
- Crush some oreo biscuits and add those on top. Pour some chocolate sauce over it for a special extra touch if you want.
- Splash some whipped cream on top for yet another classic combo.
So, what are you waiting for? Try out this ice cream recipe at home now and enjoy the tasty heavenly dessert!
Also read- Dairy-Free Ice Cream