Bringing a new-borne into your home for the first time is something that you will remember for the rest of your life. As the babies grows up, parents are always cautious about their health and want to give them the best things. However, a baby’s immune system is weaker than that of an adult.
Up to eight or even ten years of age, children fall sick much more often than adults do. Although it is common to catch a cold or to have seasonal flu, it can be easily prevented. Here is a list of some simple measures that you could take to protect yourself.
Maintain cleanliness around the house
Cleanliness should be maintained in the household. But you need to be extra careful if there is a baby in the house. As their immune system is still developing, the unhygienic environment could make them fall sick often. A big part of cleanliness is the absence of fleas, mosquitoes, and other insects. They carry dangerous infections like dengue or malaria.
Sterilize babies bottle
While maintaining cleanliness around the house is vital, there are other things to take care of as well. For example, the main source of infection for the baby is through unhygienic bottles or pacifiers. They need to be boiled in hot water to kill all the infections and germs. If you want to make the process more convenient, you could go for an electric steamer.
Use tissues instead of handkerchief
Parents carry a cotton handkerchief to wipe the kid’s nose and face. This is cheaper than using tissues, but it is not hygienic. If you use a handkerchief to clean their nose or face, then the baby gets exposed to the infection repeatedly. The wet wipes are also milder on the skin in comparison to cotton cloth. The best part is that you could dispose of the tissues and the infection along with it.
Vaccinate the child on time
Vaccination is the best way to protect infants and children against bacteria and viruses. Parents often do not understand the need for vaccines and do not vaccinate kids. But it is crucial for the child’s overall well-being. Get the child vaccinated for Diptheria, whooping cough, tetanus, influenza, etc. Getting treatment when the child gets affected won’t be as beneficial as getting timely injections would.
Boost children’s immunity
While other factors are essential, healthy immunity is a child’s best chance against any kind of infection. You can help boost the child’s immunity by giving them a healthy diet. Green veggies and fruits in children’s diet can make a huge difference. Use fresh juice and water to hydrate your child, it will help get rid of the toxins. Introduce them to new food and present it in a way that feels appealing to the kid.
Here are some general tips that will help ensure your child’s safety and health.
- Immediate family members and caregivers should get the flu vaccine once a year. Babies are not to get these injections before six months. Protecting the people around the baby will help protect the baby from all kinds of infection.
- When the baby is an infant, breast milk is a magical potion for them. The milk changes its nutritional value each time the baby is fed. Have a conversation with your doctor to know the benefits of breastfeeding.
- Keep a hand sanitizer nearby. Although it’s better to wash your hands before handling the baby, you could also use a sanitizer. It is more polite to offer a guest a sanitizer instead of asking them to wash their hands.
- Vaccinating your child helps them to become immune to certain diseases. It also protects them against numerous preventable and even life-threatening viruses and infections.
- If you are expecting, then ask the doctor about pertussis immunization. You will have to get immunized each time you get pregnant.
- Keep the baby’s stuff like milk bottles and pacifiers clean. Boil them in water to kill the germs. You could also buy a machine to simplify the task.
- Small things like dirty nails can be a huge carrier of germs and infection.
- In case there is an infection doing the rounds, keep the child in the house as much as possible. Let them watch TV instead of sending them out to play with friends.
Children mean the world to their parents and extended family members. Watching them fall sick or suffer can upset the whole house. Most of the infections that the kids get can be prevented. All you need to do is be a little aware and take small steps to protect your loved ones.