Have you ever noticed in movies that whenever one of the characters goes through a makeover transformation, they always put cucumber on eyes? Is it just for show or is there any benefit of placing cucumber on eyes?
Well, it does contain miraculous skincare benefits! Cucumber is full of multiple vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for both your health and skin.
So, today, we will be covering all about the positive effects of cucumber on the eyes, how it works for your skin, and other health benefits.
What does cucumber contain?
Cucumbers contain vitamin A vitamins C, vitamin K, magnesium, potassium, manganese in small amounts. Along with these, the consumption of unpeeled cucumbers (300 gms) fulfils
- 3 percent of your daily fiber intake
- 13 percent of your daily potassium intake
- 12 percent of your daily manganese intake
- 10 percent of your daily magnesium intake
- 14 percent of your daily vitamin C intake
- 62 percent of your daily vitamin K intake
- Lastly, cucumbers consist of 95 percent water, which is why it is one of the best food items to eat during summers, and beat the heat.
What are the skincare benefits of cucumber?
Cucumbers are full of antioxidants, which are one of the most important components necessary to get beautiful, healthy skin. Antioxidants reduce the chances of accumulation of excess fat under your skin that leads to the formation of cellulite.
2. Keeps your skin young
Cucumbers contain phytochemicals that help the collagen present in your skin to stay firm, reducing the chances of your skin to get wrinkly. So, want to keep the skin around your eyes to stay young and fresh? Put cucumber slices on your eyes and take a beauty snooze for a few minutes!
To keep your overall body young, you can try consuming cucumber as salads, soups, or with any other recipe.
3. Gives your skin that hydrating look
Nowadays, beauty bloggers and even we are quite obsessed with face sheets for hydration. As we said, cucumbers provide maximum hydration due to its high water content. We do love face sheets, but why use commercial products, when you can get the same and better skin benefit from cucumbers?
More about what does cucumber do to your eyes
These are the benefits of cucumber on eyes:
1. Reduces the puffiness of your eyes
The natural puffy eyes look cute sometimes, but the puffy eyes that appear as a result of extreme stress, less sleep doesn’t look cute at all, does it, ladies? Get rid of puffy eyes with cucumbers slices.
2. Slows down the development of wrinkles around your eyes
Premature aging has become pretty common in recent times due to changes in lifestyle. One way to avoid getting early fine lines around your eyes is with the help of cucumbers.
3. Reduces dark circles
Dark circles are another skin emergency that we want to get rid of immediately. Some are born with dark circles due to genetics, while the rest of us get dark circles after not getting enough sleep.
Although it is hard to reduce the natural dark circles, reducing the dark circles due to sleep deprivation is possible with cucumber.
4. De-tanning and reduce skin irritation
Chilled cucumbers are the best and most easily available item to reduce sunburn or any irritation of the skin.
What are the health benefits of cucumber?
1. Low calorie, high nutrient value
Cucumbers contain minimal amounts of calories and zero fats and are full of vitamins and minerals. Thus, it makes a pretty decent snack for munching during summers.
2. Enjoy a nice bowl of cucumber salad
Cut a cucumber into slices or medium pieces, add a few drops of lemon, a pinch of black salt, add cherry tomatoes, onions for extra flavor.
3. Hydrates your body
Give your body that extra hydration with cucumbers. Always have a cucumber salad along with your lunch daily.
4. Detoxifies your body
Although our body has its detoxification system, you can give it a boost with the help of antioxidants. Antioxidants reduce and destroy the formation of free radicals, one of the prime enemies of many illnesses. Antioxidants are found in abundance in cucumbers.
5. Strengthens your bones
Who knew that cucumbers can help strengthen our bones, right? It is the presence of vitamin K in cucumbers that does the magic here for bones. The consumption of cucumbers provides 62 percent of your daily vitamin K intake. This particular vitamin is necessary for strong and healthy bones.
How to make use of cucumber for the eyes?
- Take perfectly refrigerator chilled cucumbers. Peel the cucumbers and cut slices of about half inches.
- Place one slice each over your eyes and enjoy chilled eye therapy for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you notice that the slice is no longer cool than, it will no longer be of use for your eyes or skin.
- Take one whole cucumber and convert it into a paste.
- Further, you can also add essential oils such as argan oil, or tea tree oil for added benefit.
- Apply this paste under your eye.
- Grind the cucumber and squeeze the juice out.
- Add a few drops of rose water to it.
- You can also add a few drops of lemon water if you want the effect of an astringent.
Is it necessary to always use chilled cucumbers?
In case you are using cucumbers to reduce the puffiness of your eyes, or simply for hydration, chilled ones work best. Because it reduces the swelling which is one of the reasons why your eyes look baggy and tired.
A tiny fun fact: In terms of botany, cucumbers are considered as fruits because it grows from flowers and mainly because it has seeds inside. Otherwise, generally, it is considered to be a vegetable.
So, these were some known, unknown, and useful facts about cucumbers that we think are noteworthy. So, next time, if you see your eyes getting tired and see eye bags, keep a chilled cucumber on eyes (slices). See the magic happen for your eyes and skin.
Also, cucumbers are a pretty versatile food item. Apart from consuming it as salads, with sandwiches, you can also make sushi rolls out of a cucumber, and satisfy your taste buds for good.