Asafoetida or Hing as it is usually called in the Indian subcontinent is one of the most important ingredients found in any Indian household.
Before diving into the asafoetida benefits, let us look into it’s features.
India is a rich land of spices and asafoetida or hing is one of its major treasures. Asafoetida is the root of Rhizome plant that is dried to make a gum-like substance and then used.
This culinary herb has a strong smell and is not just used to enhance the flavor of food but is also beneficial for body, skin, and hair as well.
It is a basic spice that is found in every house of India but its nutritional value is not known to many. People are just using this spice as any other and don’t realize how nutritions it actually is.
Asafoetida is not just an edible item but is also great for hair and skin. Here we are have brought you the list of asafoetida benefits.
Asafoetida benefits for skin
- Anti-aging benefits: Asafoetida can do miracles by reducing your signs of aging on the face. You can make a magic face mask using asafoetida and its regular use will vanish away all your fine lines and wrinkles.
All you need is to mix asafoetida with a few drops of rose water and a tablespoon of honey. Apply a thin layer of this paste twice a week and enjoy youthful glowing skin.
- Skin dryness: Pollution, stress, and sun can make your skin and hair super dry. It is important to keep them well-hydrated. One of the best Asafoetida benefits is, it is a great repairing agent and makes the skin and hair smooth and moisturized.
Mix milk, honey and rose water in a bowl. Then add some asafoetida to it and blend well until it gets completely mixed. Refrigerate it to increase the shelf life and use it every alternate day for well-hydrated smooth skin.
- Skin whitening benefits: Asafoetida is the perfect agent to reduce dark spots and pigmentation and leaves the skin lightened and brightened. It regulates the production of a tyrosine as released by the skin which is responsible for darkening and dullness of the skin.
The asafoetida face mask can be used to make the skin bright and beautiful. To make this face mask you need to grind a small tomato with sugar and sprinkle some asafoetida. Using this mask twice a week will give you visible results.
Asafoetida benefits for hair
- Hair conditioning: Asafoetida is a great hair conditioner, it effectively traps moisture in the scalp and makes the hair healthy. It is the perfect solution to hair dryness and frizz. You can make the hair mask using asafoetida.
Mix yogurt, almond oil, green tea extract in a bowl and beat well then add some asafoetida and your hair mask is ready. Use it as a conditioner and you will be amazed by the results.
- Hair falls control: Hairfall is the result of dryness and dandruff. Asafoetida caters to all the problems that lead to hair fall and hair breakage. In many ayurvedic medicines for baldness, asafoetida is a major ingredient. Simply add some asafoetida in a mild shampoo that you use and see the difference.
Asafoetida benefits for health
- Anti-asthmatic benefits: One of the best Asafoetida benefits is, it is a boon for people having asthma or bronchitis. Asafoetida is the best natural medicine for this respiratory syndrome.
It eases the breath and triggers the production of natural antibodies. It is a powerful natural remedy for cold, bronchitis and asthma.
- Digestive benefits: Adding asafoetida to food strengthens the digestive system and its functioning. It is effective in flushing out toxins from the body.
It speeds up the process of digestion and makes sure the proper extraction of nutrients. It also regulates the PH level of the stomach. It also cures constipation problems.
- Healing benefits: Asafoetida is well known for its healing benefits since ancient times. It is not only a medicine for external wounds and burns but also internal stomach injuries and burns. For external injuries, a paste made from asafoetida is used for treatment.
- Anti-acidic benefits: Asafoetida is the best natural alkaline. It is very effective in diluting excessive acids in the stomach. It also eases intestinal gastric issues. Asafoetida is an amazing medicine for gastric and acidic pain.
- Mood elevating benefits: Asafoetida is a natural herb that triggers the happiness hormones in the body. It also hampers the production of stress. Though it should be used with caution for this purpose, it is a powerful stress managing spice.
- Boosts metabolism: Asafoetida is very helpful in regulating proper digestion since ancient times. It can increase the metabolism rate at a rapid pace. Asafoetida triggers fat metabolism too. By maintaining the LDL in human blood, asafoetida keeps the heart problems away.
- Worm repellent: Asafetida has a strong pungent smell. It is a great worm repelling agent. When taken with warm water at night it helps to fight with intestinal worms.
- Menstrual cramps: Menstrual cramps are monthly trouble that all women go through. Asafoetida is a very effective natural cure for the same. Having a pinch of asafoetida with warm water eases menstrual pain in no time.
Asafoetida for constipation
One of the key uses of asafoetida is for digestion and constipation. From toddlers to elder generation constipation and gastric issues are quite common and troublesome.
It is a very ancient home remedy as used in Indian households. A pinch of asafoetida is consumed with hot water for constipation and proper digestion. For stomach aches due to gastric issues can also be easily resolved with asafoetida.
Just add a pinch of asafoetida in olive oil or any other oil and massage gently on the stomach. You will see the result in a few minutes. It is a very helpful remedy for kids.
Now you know that this simple spice can do wonders for our overall well being. So if you are not using hing, start using it from today to enjoy asafoetida benefits.