Taking care of a newborn baby is not a simple task. If you are a first-time parent, it can seem overwhelming, and you may be clueless about how to help your baby. Once you go through pregnancy, labor, and delivery, you might feel like you have no idea what you’re doing when it comes to babycare and taking care of your little one.
Remember that it is okay to ask for help. The first few weeks of bringing your little one home can be stressful and hectic. There will be a lot to do and you will always run behind on schedule. Don’t expect to do everything by yourself. Ask for help when necessary. To make things a little easier for you, we have prepared a comprehensive guide on how parenthood and babycare!
Babycare & Parenthood
The journey of being a parent and having your firstborn is a beautiful ride. While this ride may not be smooth-sailing all the time, you will definitely have a lot to look back upon. One of the first things you should do as a parent is to make yourself aware. During this time, self-help books, baby care apps, advice from other parents can be of great help. To prepare you for your first child, we have listed the early stages of parenthood that you should be aware of.
Before your little one is brought into the world, there is a lot to be done. This is the first step of parenthood, also known as image-making. This is the time when you will have to prepare for the arrival of your baby, begin to accept your current situation, and form images of how your baby will impact your life and the changes you will go through.
Once you find out you’re pregnant, start preparing for your baby’s arrival. Make sure you design the nursery, shop for babycare playmats, baby-proof your house, and so on.
Also, read Are BCAA Supplements Safe for Pregnant Women?
The nurturing stage starts when your baby is born and continues till after 18 to 24 months. This is the time when you will form an attachment with your little one and learn to balance the needs of your baby with your personal life, social life, your spouse, and other family needs.
When your child is a toddler, and typically between the age of 2 to 5 years, you should adopt an authoritative parenting style. Establish boundaries and make rules for your child. If your child doesn’t follow the rules, make sure you reason with them and explain to them the need for these rules. Keep in mind that being a strict or authoritative parent doesn’t mean reprimanding your child or punishing them. Be reasonable and encouraging.
How New Mothers can take care of Babies Single-Handedly?
If you are a new mother, here are some mom babycare tips that will help you look after the needs of your infant.
1. Make sure your house is babyproof and child-friendly car seats are installed.
2. When traveling with your baby, check whether your little one is securely fastened into the stroller, baby carrier, and car seat. Try to limit activities that may be bouncy or too rough for the baby.
3. Take shifts to care for your baby. After going through labor and childbirth, you will need to look after yourself as well if you want to recover properly. This includes proper nutrition and adequate sleep. It may help if you and your partner take shifts to take care of the baby. This way both of you will get time to rest.
4. Accept help from anyone and everyone who offers. Taking care of a baby is stressful and can become overwhelming. If someone is offering help, don’t think you’re better than that. If your neighbor wants to hold the baby while you take a quick nap, always say yes
5. Make sure your baby supplies cabinet is stacked all the time. Have backup clothes, diapers, medicines, baby food, babycare playmat and toys, and so on.
6. Don’t forget to wash and sanitize your hands before and after handling your baby. Our hands carry many germs, and newborns don’t have a strong immune system which puts them at the risk of developing infections. Therefore, make sure your hands are clean at all times.
Best Apps that give Babycare Information
Before your baby is born, you should update your phone with the latest technology and babycare apps that will make your life easier. Here are some of the best babycare apps for first-time parents:
Peanut has been dubbed as “Tinder for moms” because it connects you to mothers near you. Through Peanut, you can talk and reach out to other moms. There is also a community discussion feature called Peanut Pages where you can ask questions, look for information, and crowdsource the minds of other moms. Peanut is like a social media platform for moms.
2. The Wonder Weeks
If your baby gives you a hard time and you are looking for insight on how to take care of them, this app will give you all the information you need. There are hundreds of video explanations and weekly updates that are easy to follow.
BabyTime is an all-in-one baby app that will make taking care of your baby easier. You can track feeding times, bottles, your baby’s sleep, baths, diaper changes, etc. It also makes a customizable graph that will tell you more about your baby’s patterns and can come in handy. If you’re planning to rely on babysitters and nannies, this is a must-have babycare app.
When things get difficult, remind yourself that every mother makes it through, and so will you. Happy parenting!
Also Read: Side Effects Of Parenting Style Over Kids