Nipples are one of the most sensitive parts of the female body. Not just sensitive, nipples are also prone to bumps or pimples as we can call it. It is quite common and not much of a concern in most situations. Pimples or bumps on nipples can be due to certain reasons that you might wish to put in your knowledge.
Causes for bumps on nipples
- Acne- Pimples are never just limited to face or back, they can also attack your nipples. Nipple acnes are usually because of oil, dirt or sweat. They vanish after a few days so not much a matter of concern.
- Eczema- Eczema is the result of an allergy to laundry detergents, lotions or irritation from a certain fabric. Due to such reasons, bumps appear on the nipple and can cause itching as well.
- Ingrown hair- Nipple hair can sometimes be the cause of bumps. Ingrown hair just like on any part of the body can cause bumps then why not on nipples. The small hair follicles can sometimes curl back in towards the skin that gives birth to an irritated bump.
- Milk blister- This is common in breastfeeding mothers. Sometimes breast milk gets collected in the breast ducts that can cause bump not just on the nipple but on any part of the breast. These are painful but not dangerous and can easily be cured by simple home remedies.
- Breast cancer- Maybe a scary one but a bump of the breast can be in some situations breast cancer. If you notice your nipple turning inward and have discharge you must see a doctor.
- Personal hygiene- Personal hygiene is one of the major causes of nipple bumps. Not cleaning your nipples properly with soap, not wearing a clean bra or t-shirt will allow dead skin cells, sebum, or sweat to get into the cause and cause pimple. Keeping your breast clean is very important.
- Yeast infection- Women especially the ones who are breastfeeding their newborns sometimes catch a yeast infection. This infection can cause a crack, itch or flake on the nipple. It can also cause pain in the nipple or the breast itself.
Above are the common causes of bumps appearing on the nipple. There can be more reasons for the same but are quite rare cases to look up to.
How to get rid of bumps on nipples?
bumps on nipples are just like the pimples anywhere else on the body. Just like usually leave the pimple alone, do not touch it and it will vanish soon. Pimples do appear on sensitive areas but there are certain precautions that can be followed to avoid them:
- Cleanliness- Clean nipples mean no bumps. Keep your nipples clean by washing them with soap and water and pat dry only after wearing your bra or clothes. It is important for your nipples to stay clean and dry.
- No fragrances- Do not apply any deodorant or perfume on your nipples. They contain alcohol that can cause irritation and bumps. You can only use apple milk creams with no fragrance or petroleum jelly.
- Clean Bra- Always wear a clean bra or sports bra. Stick to the habit of changing your bra after the gym, run or any workout you indulge in. in summers change your undergarment twice a day to stay clean and hygienic.
- Choose clothing fabric wisely- Some women are extra sensitive to certain clothing fabrics like nylon or synthetic. Such fabrics are sometimes the cause of nipple bumps. So choose your clothing fabric wisely to make sure it doesn’t irritate your skin.
When to see a doctor
In major cases, bumps on nipples are not a matter of concern and they vanish within a few days. But some bumps such as abscesses or yeast infections need to be checked by a doctor. If the bumps on nipples are irritating you or have turned red with itching then too you must see a doctor. You need medication to treat the bump on the nipple.
Bumps on nipples are quite common and can easily be treated so do not panic if your nipple develops a bump. It is important to maintain personal hygiene so that such bumps do not appear anywhere on your body