Orange juice or the OJ, as the popular vernacular goes, is a popular mixer found in every bar. In fact, a lot of our first cocktails that we tried must have been orange juice cocktails, it is really that in-demand. All because everyone knows you can never go wrong with orange juice! The versatility of OJ makes it suitable to mix with so many liquors.
Drinks with orange juice are easy to make and super delicious. It’s the perfect cure for the summer heat. In addition to being packed with Vitamin C, orange juice also eases the burn and bitterness of the alcohol.
The key to flavorsome orange juice cocktails is to freshly squeeze the orange juice before making the cocktail. The most popular alcohol to go with orange juice is vodka, however, a lot of other liquors become more inviting and savory when paired with it. You can make a mimosa by mixing OJ with champagne, tequila sunrise with tequila, an orange twist on the margarita, and not to forget the tiki cocktails including Belladonna, Hurricane, Painkiller, etc.
The most popular cocktail that comes to mind when one thinks of drinks with orange juice is the Screwdriver. But, there’s a whole world of orange juice cocktails beyond this commonly ordered orange juice and vodka mix.
Here are 6 drinks to make with orange juice, suited for various occasions so that you never have to think twice:
1. Sex On The Beach
The name can be a little misleading but don’t worry we’re not talking about the graphics, we’re talking about a drink that’s as pleasurable as sex on the beach. It is without a doubt one of the most famous cocktails and a perfect companion for the summer season.
The orange juice cocktail features a lot of fruity flavors, including orange juice, in addition to vodka. Due to the surplus of nonalcoholic mixers, the drink is not as strong as one would expect. However, the sweet and fruity blend of flavors will provide the rejuvenation you need.
- 45ml Vodka (you may also use flavored vodka)
- 22.5ml Peach Schnapps Liqueur
- 15ml Crème de Cassis
- 60ml Orange Juice
- 60ml Cranberry Juice
- Orange slice
- Maraschino Cherry
- Pour all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake well.
- Strain the mix into a highball glass.
- Garnish the drink with an orange slice and maraschino cherry and enjoy!
2. Alabama Slammer
Popular among the college crowds of the 70s and 80s in the USA, it is available in both the highball and shooter variants. It’s not as popular today as it used to be, but a journey back to the yesteryears never hurt anybody.
The southern comfort introduces an apricot-peachy flavor, which blends well with amaretto and slow gin. So, invite your friends over and enjoy this bold, fruity orange juice cocktail on the patio, under the sun, or include it in your lazy afternoon picnic plans.
- 30ml Southern Comfort
- 30ml Amaretto Liqueur
- 30ml Sloe Gin
- 60ml Orange Juice
- Orange wheel
- Pour southern comfort, amaretto, sloe gin, and fresh orange juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes and shake well.
- Strain the contents into a highball glass with fresh ice.
- Garnish the drink with an orange wheel and enjoy!
This uncommon tequila cocktail from Mexico is what you need this summer to pair with your tacos and quesadillas. The name comes from cantarito, which is a portly clay cup used to serve drinks, mostly in cafes all over Latin America. You might have tried paloma, which is a variation of this citrus blend, and there are many other possible variations of orange juice cocktail.
- 45ml Tequila
- 15ml Lime Juice
- 15ml Orange Juice
- 15ml Lemon Juice
- 120ml Grapefruit Juice
- Orange wedge
- Salt (for rimming)
- Wet the rim of a Collins glass with a citrus (orange) wedge and coat it with salt.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes and pour the tequila and the juices over it.
- Top the drink off with grapefruit soda, and garnish it with an orange wedge. Your drink is ready!
It’s a classic tiki cocktail, mostly served as a punch. It has a long history and over the years it has undergone several variations but the original drink with orange juice remains a popular tropical orange juice cocktail. Rum is the essential ingredient and a classy way to serve this cocktail is in a scorpion bowl, with a shot of rum flaming in the center like a volcano. It is one of the strongest punch drinks that you’ll ever try.
Ingredients (for a punch)
- 1.5 bottles of Rum
- 60ml Gin
- 60ml Brandy
- 750ml White Wine
- 480ml Lemon Juice
- 240ml Lemon Juice
- 240ml Orgeat Syrup
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Mint
- Mix all the ingredients in a punch bowl and pour the punch over cracked ice.
- Allow the mix to stand for two hours.
- Add more ice to the mix and garnish it with gardenias and orange or lemon slices.
- Serve in a highball glass and enjoy!
5. Happy New Year
This celebratory champagne-orange juice cocktail is ideally popped on New Year, however, it can brighten up any of your upcoming jamborees. The juices add a fruity flavor to the acerbic layers of brandy and sparkling wine. Being a wine cocktail, it’s relatively light in strength and adds sparkle to your festivities.
- 45ml Brandy
- 22.5ml Ruby Port
- 22.5ml Orange Juice
- 120ml Champagne
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add brandy, ruby port, and orange juice and shake well.
- Strain the contents into a champagne flute.
- Topic it with champagne and enjoy!
6. Bocce Ball
Similar to the Screwdriver, this is one of the easiest drinks to make with orange juice. It is a vodka cocktail, perfectly refreshing for summer afternoons. The almond flavor brought in by amaretto blends with citrus and a dash of soda adds freshness to this orange juice cocktail.
- 45ml Vodka
- 15ml Amaretto
- 150ml Orange Juice
- 1 splash Soda Water
- Orange Slice
- In a Collins glass filled with ice, add the vodka, amaretto, and orange juice.
- Add a dash of soda water and garnish with an orange slice. Enjoy!
With freedom comes responsibility, so enjoy your drinks but do not cross your limits!