Waxing is a safe process, a process where the hair is pulled out at the roots with warm wax. It is certainly true that waxing hurts a bit; it is like a sharp stinging sensation for a brief minute as the hair gets pulled out. You can opt for a bikini wax or a full Brazilian wax (a complete wax of the vaginal area) depending on your preferences.
Salons do bikini wax almost every day, trust me! they get many customers coming in for bikini or Brazilian wax! Though it is natural for you to be embarrassed or shy, just be yourself during the process! if you are not too comfortable with the person waxing you seeing your ‘down there’, you can opt to buy home waxing kits. But it is advisable to go to a salon for the best, especially if you have never done a waxing session earlier by yourself!
When you visit a salon for waxing your pubic area, make sure of the following:
- Some salons offer mini paper panties for the clients to wear during the wax. If you opt for wearing your own underwear, make sure your underwear is similar in shape to your bathing suit.
- It is better to carry along an extra pair to change to after the waxing process (to avoid any sticky wax into your underwear).
- Prepare yourself for the waxing process. Exfoliate ‘down there’ properly before the wax. You can take a dose of an OTC pain reliever like acetaminophen or ibuprofen an hour before the waxing appointment.
- Make sure to avoid sex as well as any tight-fitting clothes for 24 hours after the waxing process.
- Choose a clean and comfy salon for the wax. Check the salon beforehand for their sanitation and comfort factor. Make sure the aesthetician (the concerned person who will do the wax) washes her hands properly or dons a pair of gloves.
- The crucial thing in waxing the pubic area is for you to feel safe. Make sure the aesthetician used cleaned and sanitized instruments, equipment, and wax.
- Salons use hot or warm wax that they smear into the bikini area with the help of a spatula. The wax should be warm but not burn your skin. If it burns, inform the aesthetician immediately.
- You may observe smaller red spots on the waxed area for a day or two after the waxing is done. There might also be slight redness or puffiness in the area. Don’t worry, it is normal and will wear off.
- Keep the waxed area clean by washing it with mild soap and lukewarm water
The effective thing about waxing is that the waxed results last longer than in comparison to shaving as the hair is removed from the root.
Benefits of Waxing:
Many women love a no-hair zone down there. They feel more hygienic about a clean and no pubic hair area. Some say it enhances sexual pleasure. There are also studies that show that younger men are more attracted to women who have lesser or no pubic hair, though no study has proven the correlation between sex and pubic hair.
Risks of Waxing:
Though waxing in salons and getting a prescribed aesthetician to do it ‘down there’ is always good, there are always certain risks. The most common risks include burns or tears to the pubic region, allergic reactions as well as infections of the skin or the vagina. Though minor tears and infections can be treated at home or by prescribed antibiotics, in certain cases the complications may become severe with scarring and burns.
How long does a Bikini Wax last?
The results of the wax last for around 3 to 6 weeks depending on the re-growth rate of the individual. Mostly, the hair re-growth is minimal during the first and second week of wax and gradually increases in the third and fourth week.