Abs are not something that is built overnight. They require hard work, consistency and patience. Have you ever tried using an exercise ball for abs? They might look for something to do fun with but actually, they are great for exercising.
If you are currently working out at home, an exercise ball for abs can be your new fitness goal. You can mix it up with your current fitness routine. In this article, you will get to know how to use an exercise ball for abs.
Read on to find out all about using an exercise ball for abs!
What is an Exercise Ball and How is it Beneficial?
You must’ve seen that big ball in the gym and this ball is not just a regular ball, an exercise ball can be used in numerous ways for fitness, whether it’s yoga or core exercises, a yoga ball can be beneficial for flexibility, strength, endurance and stability. An exercise ball also commonly known as physioball, swiss ball or fit is a large ball that can be used to strengthen and stretch the body, improving core stability and balance.
An exercise ball can be a great tool for toning your abs and core muscles. They come in various sizes, are lightweight and inexpensive. They do not take much space and you can probably find them in any gym or fitness clubs.
Exercise balls are amazing equipment for challenging your balance and core stability. Exercise balls are amazingly versatile and many gym goers use them for ab workouts. It can challenge all of your body portions including upper, lower and core. It will challenge the balance, stability and flexibility in your entire body. Here are some benefits of using an exercise ball for abs:
- Improved spinal stability
- Enhanced muscle strength
- Increased and restored flexibility
- Improved balance
- Corrects posture
- More coordination and focus
- An increased concentration of stabilisation muscles
- Strong core muscles
Also read: Abs Exercises
How to Use an Exercise Ball for Abs?
Exercise balls can take your workouts to whole another level. Whether it’s strengthening your core, protecting the joints and building more muscles, exercise balls can challenge you to make the most out of your workouts.
While you workout using an exercise ball, the core and hip muscles work harder together to keep the body strong. Not only strength but using an exercise ball for abs may help you improve balance, coordination and stability.
The moves can be a little difficult if you are a beginner. However, with practice and patience, you can master using it. So, take your time and you can even use a wall for balance if you need. Here is how to use an exercise ball for abs:
1. Mountain Climbers
This exercise is great for building your core strength and balance as well. Here is how to do it:
- Place the exercise ball in front of you and get in the plank position with your elbows resting on the ball.
- Keep your core engaged and straight from head to heels.
- Bend your right knee towards the chest and return to the original position.
- Do the same with the left knee and continue with the right one.
- Do it as fast as possible for 1 minute.
2. Exercise Ball Crunch
This exercise can build stability and great if you want to build abs. Here’s how to do it:
- Lie faceup with the ball under your lower back.
- Keep your feet on the ground and knees bend.
- Keep your hand behind your ears.
- Brace your core, tighten the glutes and crunch your upper body upwards.
- Raise the shoulders and tuck your chin to the chest.
- Lower your body down and return to the original position. Do at least 10 reps.
3. Exercise Ball Hamstring Curl
This exercise can strengthen your glutes and hamstrings. This easy to do exercise may engage your core like nothing else, here’s how to do it:
- Lie with your upper back on the floor and your ankles on the top of the exercise ball with your legs straight.
- Squeeze your glutes and raise your hips off the floor and make sure your body forms a straight line.
- Drag your heels, rolling the exercise ball as close to your hips as possible.
- Wait and slowly straighten your body, returning to the starting position.
4. Plank Rock
Planks are hard but they are a little fun with an exercise ball. Challenge your core and abs with these steps:
- Lie on the ball with your toes on the ground behind you and your forearms in the centre of the ball.
- Engage your abs, glutes and quads and lift your core off the ball forming the plank position on the ball.
- You may get unbalanced because the ball is moving and it is more challenging than a regular plank.
- If you find it difficult, you may lift your hips.
- Move the ball back and forth in the plank position.
- Continue this for 30-45 seconds.
- You can hold this position instead of rocking if you find it difficult.
5. Exercise Ball Push Up
Push-ups are great for engaging your core and abs. You may find this exercise a little hard at first but practise it safely and take it easy at first and you’ll be able to master it. Here’s how to do it:
- Kneel behind the exercise ball and bend over the ball.
- Walk your hands forward and come into the plank position with your ankles over the ball.
- Lower down and perform a push-up.
- Repeat it 10-15 times.
Sit-ups are another wonderful exercise for your abs. Here’s how to do sit-ups on an exercise ball:
- Sit on the exercise ball with your feet on the ground.
- Lean back and walk yourself out of the ball until your shoulders, upper and lower back touch the ball.
- Place your fingertips behind the ears.
- Lift your chin and engage your core as you perform a sit up.
- Do as many sit-ups as you can in 1 minute.
These were some amazing ways to use an exercise ball for abs. If you liked these, make sure to try these exercises out for a stronger body.
Also read: Stomach Exercises