Fennel seeds or saunf is one of the very popular and ancient spices. It not only used as a spice in foods but is a great mouth freshener too. Its roots are found since the time of our ancestors.
This superfood is a staple commodity of almost every Indian household. When on one hand it gives an amazing flavour to the tea, on the other hand, it is eaten after every meal as a mouth freshener.
Not just a kitchen commodity but fennel seeds have always been used as an ingredient to ayurvedic medicines too. It is good for digestion and cures a few ailments too.
Amazing benefits of fennel seeds carry:
- Blood purifier: Fennel seeds have always been known for detoxifying the body. They carry various essential oils, vitamins, minerals and fibre that cleans the internal body especially our digestive system.
It helps to flush out the toxins and purifies the blood. It also ensures less fat absorption and the maximum nutrient absorption from the food that is eaten.
A few grains after every meal can do wonders for the digestive system.
- Reduces water retention: Since fennel seeds are great for detoxifying the blood, it also flushes out excess fluids from the body. As a result, It also reduces the risk of urinary tract problems.
- Good for the respiratory system: Interestingly, fennel seeds help to clear clogged nasal passage. Fennel tea is a great home remedy for sinus patients and to clear the congested chest.
A hot cup of fennel seeds tea is often prescribed by ayurvedic doctors to their asthma or bronchitis patients.
- Improves digestion: Fennel seeds are usually consumed after the meal so that the food gets nicely digested in the body. It contains the oils of estragole, fenchone, and anethole which helps to improve digestion.
It increases the metabolism rate and also reduces the chance of bloating and constipation. For its multitude of gastrointestinal benefits, they are sure to help the digestive tract to make it happy and healthy.
- Regulates blood sugar levels: Ayurveda believes that fennel seeds are great fir regulating glucose content in the blood. While on one hand, it purifies the blood, it also maintains the sugar levels. Hence, it is advisable for a diabetic patient to have raw fennel seeds after every meal.
- Improves eyesight: Yes, fennel seeds are great for a good vision. It contains Vitamin A that improves the eyesight. In earlier times, these seeds were the solution to improve and correct the symptoms causing glaucoma.
- Great for acne problems: Eating fennel seeds on a regular basis can reduce the problem of acne. It contains minerals like zinc, calcium, and selenium that are very helpful in managing the hormones and leaves a cooling impact on the skin. It reduces acne and makes the face glowy.
- Reduces stress naturally: Fennel seeds are good for digestion and hence reduces stress. It accommodates the faster movement of food and makes you feel lighter at all times. It is also known to reduce oxidative stress on the body.
- Regulates good appetite: Many people have lost their appetite due to age, disease or some other reasons. Consuming fennel seeds keeps your appetite healthy.
It improves the metabolic rate and simultaneously appetite is taken care of. Lack of hunger is usually the result of the previous food not being digested properly.
It keeps our digestive tract clear and hence there is no loss of hunger. Feeling hungry after 2-3hours of having a meal is an indication that all the nutrients are being well supplied in the body from the previous meal.
- Helps to reduce weight: While fennel tea is a great beverage to have, some people like to drink fennel water in the morning.
Taking fennel seeds in some way or the other keeps our metabolism running and accommodates weight loss too. Fennel water is often prescribed by the dieticians while following a weight loss plan.
- Breath freshener: If you have a problem with bad-breath, fennel seeds are the solution to the problem.
That is why they are often served in Indian restaurants after the meal. Chewing fennel seeds increases the production of saliva in the mouth beating bad breath and boosting digestion. It is often used in organic mouthwashes.
- Cools the body during summers: Our bodies are all heated up during the peak times of the summer season. Fennel seeds leave a cooling effect on the body. It relieves the heat of the body leaving it feeling cool.
In Ayurveda, fennel seeds are considered very auspicious. It is believed that no other spice is as healthy as them. That is the reason why they are a staple commodity in Indian households since ancient times. With its aromatic and nutritional value, it is an Indian secret for good health. So do add fennel seeds into your daily diet and witness the difference.