We all love coloring our hair every now and then. Blonde, brown, black, red or even blue, we love to treat ourselves with a fresh look by changing our hair color. After spending so many bucks on hair color, their fading with time is too disheartening. We all need to understand that colored hair needs special care and attention that the natural ones. If we wish a good life for our colored hair, we need to make some extra efforts.
Some tips have been gathered here for you to make your hair color last longer with having getting faded or damage your hair texture:
- Shampoo after 72 hours of hair coloring: As you get your hair colored, your cuticle layer gets opened that in turn penetrates the hair shaft. This could result in your color being washed off if you shampoo before letting the cuticle layer to close back. It takes up to three days for the cuticle layer to fully close up so no washing until then. Give your hair an ample amount of time to fully soak in before you wash them. This will result in the longevity of hair color.
- Go for sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner: In a non-chemical language, sulfate is found in many personal care products which is the reason for the formation of foam while using them. Using a shampoo or conditioner with sulfate can dry up your hair and is a big cause of damage and hair fall. It takes away the natural oils of the hair. To keep your hair safe from fading, use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
- Shampoo less frequently: If you have color-treated hair, you must cut down your urge to shampoo them every day. Use shampoo just 2-3 times a weak so the color stays longer. If you are addicted to washing your hair on a daily basis, then color-safe dry shampoo is your best go-to option.
- Wash your hair with mild temperature water: Hot water bath is our favorite but it is an enemy to your hair and your hair color. Hot water opens up the cuticle of your hair resulting in washing your hair color off. Make sure you wash with cold or lukewarm water if you don’t want to see your hair color washing down the drain. Coldwater keeps the hair cuticle sealed giving a longer life to your hair.
- Never skip conditioner: Never skip using conditioner after shampoo and also sometimes if you are not shampooing your hair use some conditioner to get them in a good look and texture. The conditioner will provide moisturized protection to your color-treated hair. It doesn’t let it fade off easily and acts as a guard. So make sure you never skip conditioning your hair for that amazing look and protection for your colored hair.
- Protection from UV rays: Color-treated hair are majorly harmed by the sun. UV rays fade off the color really quickly and leave it looking faded and dull. Make sure you don’t expose your color-treated hair much to the sun and if you step out always tie a scarf and cover your hair. Sun is not only harmful to color-treated hair but also for natural color of the hair. It is also one of the main reasons for the early greying of the hair.
- Use a heat protecting spray before styling with hot tools: Before you go for hair straightening or curling and crimping, always use a heat-protecting spray prior styling. Color-treated hair get super damaged by hair styling tools like straightener or curler or hair dryer so spraying helps in keeping the color protected from the damage.
- Take hair spas frequently: Fix your hair spa appointment for once in a month and stick to it. Taking hair colored special hair spa will make sure your hair color lasts longer and will protect your treated hair from damage as well. Go for good hair since the massage given also regulates blood flow into the skull. Treated hair demand some extra care.
- Avoid Chlorine: Chlorine is a chemical that is added to the pool to keep it clean. If you like swimming, then be prepared for hair damage on your color-treated hair. Chlorine will dull out and will dry your color-treated hair. So if you like swimming, never forget to wear a pool cap to protect your hair.
- Never double process: Never ever put two or chemicals in your hair within a short span of time. If you have got hair color then don’t overdose it with any other chemical, it will not only damage your hair but will also lead to hair fall, dandruff and split ends. So make sure you don’t overdo on chemicals.
There is no harm in experimenting with different colors on your hair but you also need to take care of it very sincerely. Keep it stylish but also take care of it.