Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful phases of a woman’s life and on the other hand, miscarriages are equally draining emotionally and physically. Loss of pregnancy is quite common these days, it can be extremely traumatic. So a doctor’s visit is a must if you feel anything odd during your pregnancy or any signs of miscarriages.
Types of Miscarriages
There are quite a number of miscarriages as distinguished by science:
- Threatened Miscarriage- Minor signs of miscarriage while the cervix of closed is known as a threatened miscarriage. A mother’s body will show signs of vaginal bleeding or lower abdominal pain. In this case, the pregnancy shall continue.
- Inevitable or incomplete miscarriage- Along with bleeding and strong lower abdomen pain, the cervix opens and the developing fetus comes out in the bleeding. This is an inevitable miscarriage.
- Complete miscarriage- When all the pregnancy tissues have left your uterus, it is a complete miscarriage. There is strong labor like pain along with bleeding for several days.
- Missed miscarriage- When the baby terminates in the uterus but there are no signs of miscarriage, it is called a missed miscarriage. In this the pregnancy symptoms of nausea or vomit fade away and the pregnancy termination is diagnosed only after a scan.
- Recurrent miscarriage- Some women go through repeated miscarriage within the first trimester only. Proper treatment and diagnosis by a doctor are necessary in this case.
Signs Of Miscarriage
A mother who is pregnant or trying to get pregnant must be well aware of the early signs of miscarriages to look out for:
- Abdominal pain or cramps- different sensations including cramps are quite normal in the early days of pregnancy. But strong cramps that are discomforting the expecting lady is a worrisome issue. You need to get yourself checked by your doctor if you are experiencing this kind of extreme pain.
- Bleeding- Bleeding or spotting is not a 100% sign of a miscarriage but is also not something to be neglected. But if you are experiencing bright red bleeding in the heavy amount you need to get yourself checked for a miscarriage. Bleeding usually doesn’t occur if you have conceived but light bleeding is normal.
- Fluids or tissue passing from your vagina- Release of pink fluids or tissue from your vagina is not normal and needs to be checked. You must collect a sample of the discharge and get it checked with your ob-gyn. Such discharge is sometimes a sign of miscarriage.
- Lower back ache- Backpains are quite normal during pregnancy, but not a recurring one. May it be mild or severe a back pain can be due to a miscarriage and one needs to get it checked. This is one of the symptoms that need to be paid attention to.
- Your doctor fails to find a heartbeat- After some time into the pregnancy, your ob-gyn will look for a heartbeat in your womb. If your doctor fails to find a heartbeat that could possibly be a sign of miscarriage. Also, an ultrasound will be ordered for confirmation by your doctor.
- No sensation or movements- Once your fetus reaches a certain age, it has to make some movements or sensations inside you. If your baby has stopped making any movements for some time, you need to tell your doctor about it. The doctor will have to look out for your baby’s well being inside.
- Positive then negative result- Sometimes one morning your pregnancy test result will show positive which has to remain like that. If the following day it starts to show negative, you need to call your doctor. This is not a good sign if your positive result of pregnancy goes negative the next time.
- Opening cervix- In a normal pregnancy, the cervix remains tightly closed until the last couple of weeks of the pregnancy. If the cervix is not completely closed or is partially open, one needs to get checked for miscarriage. In such cases, the miscarriage chances are much higher.
Sometimes some women experience recurrent miscarriages which could be due to some genetic defect or chronic condition. It is never advisable to confirm yourself just by looking at the signs of miscarriage.
But if any of the above-mentioned symptoms of miscarriages are observed during pregnancy one must visit the doctor for the checkup. No woman wants to lose her child growing inside her so be extra attentive towards your pregnancy. Always remember that it doesn’t hurt to be informed about potential red flags.