Many of you still may not know that Ayurveda is an exceptional companion to the care you receive from your doctor or physician. Doubt it? Keep reading to know how Ayurveda can be a wonderful way to a healthy pregnancy! Do you know that in Ayurveda, the pregnancy period is considered as a very special as well as spiritual time in a woman’s life? Yes, it is generally described that pregnancy is specifically luminous & golden, i.e., in other words, it is Ayurveda’s description of that different “pregnancy glow” that a woman acquires during her pregnancy.
Pregnancy is a time when a woman’s emotional abilities are high, and that is the main reason why you should include a quality amount of meditation and various other spiritual practices at this time. This is the time to bond with your little one and don’t forget about yourself as self-care is an essential factor. You may clearly know the fact that both physical as well as emotional changes are happening during these 9 months. To acquire most of the benefits of Ayurveda, you should search out for an experienced Ayurvedic practitioner in your area.
Ayurveda For Healthy Pregnancy
Here are two important guidelines a pregnant woman should keep in mind:
You Need An Ayurveda Diet
During the 2nd & 3rd trimesters of the pregnancy period, the Agni/digestive fire weakens as well as Vata increases. By adopting these guidelines, you will definitely find more ease in your daily life:
- Eat foods that are mild & soft to digest (sattvic)
- Say no to spicy foods
- Fix a regular & constant eating times
- Avoid frozen food, leftovers, and stale food
- Consume freshly cooked, organic, and whole foods as much as possible
- Drink 1 to 2 cups of bone broth every day and avoid over/under eating
- Avoid having too much
- Avoid too much cold or raw food
- Choose warm and moist foods such as casseroles, kitchari, stews, and soups
- Decide to make a balance of complete 6 tastes
- Consume a diet rich in a mixture of colors
- Consume foods that are delicious, nourishing and tasty
- You should start using many digestive spices in your food including brown mustard seed, coriander, fennel, cinnamon, trikatu, pippali, black pepper, ginger and turmeric.
- Also, it is high time to avoid dense, heavy food & have more liquid or semi-liquid options
- Ojas building foods are real savior!! These include coconut, mangos, avocados, figs, almonds, grapes, dates, raisins, wheat, warm milk, rice, and ghee.
- Gentle herbs is recommended in order to strengthen the digestive fire
Also, calcium is a great requirement during pregnancy and the calcium need further increases in the third trimester as the skeleton of the fetus starts to form. You can find many good calcium sources such as salmon, sardines, dates, molasses, tahini, sesame seeds, almonds, broccoli, collards, plain yogurt, and milk.
You Need An Ayurvedic Lifestyle
- Do self-oil massage (abhyanga) using warm Vata Massage Oil daily or at night before going to bed
- Decide a time for daily meditation, no matter it is for a few minutes every day
- Encircle yourself with a bunch of supportive people
- Register into a community pre-natal yoga class in order to connect with different mothers
- Consume warm milk along with honey, cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon before going to bed. This will calm your mind!!
- Try to get an adequate amount of rest each night; this should be neither in excess or lacking in length
- Fix a healthy sleep routine
- Avoid as many medications as possible
- Practice gentle yoga & pranayama to help ease your pregnancy period as well as labor
Some “Don’ts” during your pregnancy prescribed in Ayurveda:
- Avoid spicy as well as extremely oily foods
- Don’t have sexual intercourse or intense work out regimen
- Don’t cover the abdomen using heavy blankets
- Don’t change sides during the sleep without getting up
- Don’t sleep on your back, rather start sleeping on your sides
You must nourish yourself and your baby during this stage of life!! Hence, to have a healthy baby, be a healthy and balanced mother during your pregnancy with Ayurveda!!
Also Read: Guide To Your Delightful And Healthy Pregnancy