We tend to think of our skin as fragile, but actually, it is our skin that protects us daily. From regulating our body temperature to preventing the entry of germs, the skin performs a variety of tasks. Without the skin, we would not be able to hold the hands of the people we love. There would be no soft forehead kisses and gentle caresses. Hence, it is our skin which is such a major medium for the physical language of love.
So why is it that we often act careless with it? It can be easy to get lazy and just splash some water on your face and call it a day for your skincare routine. But this could cost you in the long term and lead to a variety of skin problems. Having a proper skincare routine is not just for the sake of appearance, but also for the sake of overall health.
Dull skin is one of the major skin problems that a lot of people suffer from due to the accumulation of various factors. Dull skin is the condition in which the skin loses its brightness and radiance, becomes lifeless. This could lead to the formation of unevenly colored skin patches. Such skin becomes susceptible to blemishes, fine lines, spots, etc. This also dampens your mood, especially if you are already exhausted.
Thus, knowing how to rejuvenate dull skin is not just a beauty tip, but healthcare advice, following which will ensure that you start your day with a fresh face and gain renewed energy every time you glance in the mirror.
Causes of dull skin
Dull skin is more than just a condition—it is a reflection of your lifestyle. Having dull skin probably indicates that you have some unhealthy habits that you could do without. It is useless to just know how to rejuvenate dull skin if you do not recognise the reasons for it and continue indulging in the same harmful lifestyle.
Thus, we should first know about the causes of dull skin, so they can point us towards the problem areas in our lives, which can also help us prevent other, major illnesses.
- Dead skin cells that come with ageing and formation of dry skin can accumulate and give a dull, tired look to your face, even if the day has just begun
- Having habits such as smoking and drinking alcohol regularly can cause changes in the pores of the skin, its texture and reduce its glow.
- An unhealthy diet can also be one of the causes of dull skin because it prevents your body from getting the nutrition it needs to maintain healthy skin.
- An improper exfoliation routine such as either not doing it sufficiently and causing a buildup of dead skin cells, or overdoing it and eroding the skin’s protective layer can lead to dull skin.
- Using the wrong skincare products can damage your skin as the chemicals in them do not suit it and cause harm, leading to duller skin.
- Not getting sufficient sleep can lead to your body being worn, which causes your skin to mirror your exhaustion and also resulting in puffiness and shadows under the eye.
- Lack of use of sunscreen when stepping out of the house leads to harmful UV rays depleting the guarding layer of your skin.
- Not moisturising your skin regularly as well as not drinking enough water can lead to dull, dehydrated skin.
How to fix dull skin naturally?
Now that you may recognise just what areas in your life have impacted your skin quality, you want to know how to heal the skin that is already damaged. You may be afraid of using chemical solutions for fear that they could make things worse.
Well, don’t worry because we are here to tell you about homemade remedies for dull skin. Once you know how to fix dull skin naturally, you can get started right away, because most of these ingredients will already be present in your home.
Natural remedies while being safe to use also give you full control in preparing them so you know just what you are applying to your skin, which is important as we all must fully be aware of all the aspects of our skincare routine before we make any decisions.
Homemade remedies for dull skin
1. Sugar scrub
A sugar scrub is a good alternative for a chemical scrub because sugar has a natural texture which gives it exfoliating properties. For this, simply gather all of these:
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
Take a container which can be sealed and add the olive oil and honey. Then, add the sugar and mix them all nicely. Carefully scrub your face with it in a circular motion to ensure that the dead skin cells are removed gently. Rinse with water in around 4 to 5 minutes. You can use this scrub for around two times a week, but be careful about storing it properly so that it doesn’t spoil.
Cucumber is one of the popular natural remedies for dull skin, as it is for various skin problems. It contains Vitamin C and other constituents which help reduce pigmentation of the skin and give more radiant, glowing skin. First, gather all these:
- 1/2 of a cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of natural aloe vera gel
Cut half of an unpeeled cucumber into even pieces and put it in a blender along with the aloe vera gel to make a mixture with the consistency of a paste. Then, put this on your face for around 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it off with water.
Not only does this mask soothe your skin, but it also gives you a pleasant cooling effect at the end of a stressful day.
Yoghurt is not only a delicious way to start your morning but also a natural booster of skin health. Plain yoghurt contains L-cysteine which is a compound that helps in the reduction of pigmentation and uneven patches which give your skin a duller appearance.
For this, you will simply need:
- 1/2 cup of plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
In a bowl, mix the yoghurt and honey, till you can see that they have blended well. Then, apply this mixture on both your face and neck for approximately 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it with water. The sweet scent of honey with the coolness of the yoghurt can leave you basking in its glow until much later.
4. Basic lifestyle changes
It is not enough to know how to fix dull skin naturally if it is not paired with small improvements in all the areas of your life. The problems of our skin are not something acquired overnight. Continuous unhealthy routines have caused it and so, only consistent efforts towards healthier habits will help beat it.
- Improve your dietary habits and make sure that you maintain a sufficient water intake routine regularly
- Incorporate exercise into your weekly schedule because it helps release toxins from our body, while also maintaining proper circulation which ensures even distribution of nutrients
- Regularly moisturize your face by using face creams which suit your skin and work effectively on it.
- Exfoliate but always remember to be gentle while doing so and rubbing in slow, circular motions.
- When trying out any skin products, always make sure to do a patch test at home by applying the solution to a small area of your skin to see if you have any reactions. Even while using natural remedies, make sure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients involved.
- Try to get the sufficient rest that your body needs to replenish itself and improve the quality of your skin.
Having A Consistent Skincare Routine
Always start slow and build your way up to a more detailed routine so that you let yourself become used to it over time. It is common to slip up in the initial days, especially if you are undoing habits which have been instilled in you years ago.
Remember that skincare, like selfcare, is a journey that needs patience and love. Do not start out of a feeling of shame or hate. Remember that growing doesn’t mean the person you were yesterday is less. It just means that you are slowly realising just how you can look after yourself and are growing towards it.