Menstruation is a pivotal event in the life of a woman. Though, it may colloquially be called periods, since it comes periodically after every 28 days (ideally), till a woman attains menopause. But sometimes there is nothing regular about periods, they make an erratic nuisance and it wreck havoc in the life of ladies.
With the modern lifestyle, periods often fluctuate anywhere between 28-34 days, and it has now become the new normal. But what happens if your period has gone missing for 3 consecutive cycles or for 6-month at least.
When a sexually active woman skips her period, the thought of pregnancy crosses her mind, and it can be terrifying or joyous. But sometimes a skipped period can be something much more intrinsic and complicated than being knocked up. It is quite normal that during our fertile years, periods can become irregular, which is known as Oligomenorrhea.
But what is more fatal is when periods go Missing in Action for an extended period, and it is known as Amenorrhea. Our bodies are controlled by hormones and an MIA period is a symptom that everything isn’t hunky-dory about you. Amenorrhea is of 2 kinds-primary and secondary. The first kind( onset of menarche and absence of secondary sexual feature) is extremely rare, only about 0.03% experience. Secondary amenorrhea is more common.
For women, menses are part of their vital sign, an indication that ovulation is occurring, and when it is amiss for a long time it can lead to acne, obesity, headaches, gastric refluxes, depression and mood swings, infertility and also increases the chance of cancer of the reproductive organs.
What makes your periods go missing?
- Hormonal imbalance-tumor in the pituitary gland or hypothalamus may often lead to hormonal imbalance.
- Oral contraceptive pills-it stops ovulation to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
- When you stop taking the pill– post-pill amenorrhea is experienced by women after prolonged use. It might take many months for your menstrual cycle to get regular.
- Body weight-obesity and underweight- obesity leads to excess production of estrogen, while underweight women have a significantly lower amount of this essential hormone, which is required to maintain a healthy menstrual cycle.
- Too much physical exercise – when women undertake strenuous exercise it can mess up your hormones.
- Stress-when stressed whether physical, mental or emotional lead to the secretion of cortisol and adrenaline, which disrupts the secretion of the female hormone.
- PCOS– this hormonal imbalance leads to excess production of testosterone and irregular menstruation.
- Thyroid-hyperthyroidism or excess production of thyroid hormones can lead to amenorrhea.
- Premature ovarian failure-early onset of menopause, by the age of 40 due to loss of normal ovarian function.
How to get your periods back?
Here are some tips to follow to get your periods back:
Having a nutritious meal is essential to have a healthy body. incorporate fats, proteins, and carbohydrates in proper quantities. Healthy fats like coconut oil and avocado should be part of your meals. Also add vitamin C, fibers, zinc and iron for your daily intake. Crash dieting is not beneficial.
Stress is the biggest vice and with the modern lifestyle, it can get very hectic-both physically, mentally as well as emotionally. Depression and anxiety have become part of life. You need to relax to lower your level of cortisol and simultaneously increase the sex hormones. Yoga, meditation, or indulging in your favorite hobby will help you relax.
Get some shut-eye
Sleep plays an important role in repairing and restoring your body. Listen to your body when it is yearning for some rest. Late nights and erratic schedules can take its toll. Eight hours of sleep is essential to maintain a proper hormonal cycle.
Exercise is essential to feel healthy and happy. But too strenuous and too frequent exercise can hamper the hormonal cycle, something that is frequently experienced by sportswomen. Opt for gentle exercises like swimming, walking or cycling. If you are into cardio, don’t do it for too long. Also, remember if you are already exhausted, don’t push yourself, rather get some rest, it will serve you better.
Natural ingredients to induce periods
Pineapple, papaya, parsley, cinnamon, and pomegranate are certain natural ingredients known as emmenagogues which help to reduce periods. Also, you should cut back on excessive drinking and abstain from smoking.
Lifestyle and dietary changes can help to re-tune your body and help to get back your periods naturally. Missed periods can be extremely infuriating and it can disrupt your life in more ways than one. Try these natural methods and see a marked change in your overall health.