Childbirth, ageing, weight gain may affect a woman’s body in several ways. Most women experience the upper region of their pubic area which is known as mons pubis can become enlarged due to these reasons. This excess skin or fat may make women experience difficulty in finding the right clothing that fits properly.
Also, the excess sagging of the skin may interfere with urination and sexual relations. Here comes Monsplasty Surgery, a type of cosmetic surgery to solve this problem. If you are looking for some information about monsplasty surgery, you’ll find everything about it in this article.
Read on to find out more about it!
What is Monsplasty Surgery?
Monsplasty surgery is a kind of cosmetic surgery in which the excess skin or fatty tissue is removed from the fatty pad over the pubic bone when a bulge forms over the upper pubic area due to various reasons. The skin is removed from over the fatty pad which is called the mons pubis and this is how this procedure got its name. It is also popularly known as a pubic lift. Monsplasty and liposuction can be done together. Liposuction removes the excess fat but doesn’t alter the appearance or remove saggy skin.
Monsplasty is also considered a form of vaginal rejuvenation and it is gaining popularity very quickly. This procedure can change the appearance and may uplift your self-esteem and confidence back again.
Reasons why women want monsplasty
There is numerous reason why a woman would want monsplasty surgery. There can be personal reasons or medical reasons. The area around the pubic bone can change because of many reasons especially for women during post-pregnancy. Some women might want to change the appearance of the mons pubis. They might not be happy about it, however other women might not want it because they are happy with the way they look.
It may be hard for some people to have sexual intercourse or urinate or they may have trouble maintaining good hygiene. For women who want to change the look of their mons pubis or due to other difficulties, monsplasty surgery can be beneficial.
Causes of enlarged mons pubis
Mons pubis is the area that runs from the top of your pubic hair and down to the place where your genitals begin. It is triangular in shape and more obvious in women but men have it too. There are many reasons you may develop enlarged mons pubis. Here are some:
- Weight gain is the most common reason you have a bulge near your mons pubis. The excess fat is accumulated in your mons pubis which causes it to bulge out. The more you gain weight, the more it stretches.
- After you lose weight, you are generally left with the same amount of skin but less fatty tissue which causes your skin to sag.
- The longer you have extra fatty tissue and the older you are, the less elastic your skin becomes. The elasticity decreases as you grow old. Elasticity is important for your skin to not sag.
- Women who have had C-section may develop bulge on their mons pubis as the skin around the scar may remain tight but the skin below may not which causes it to bulge out.
- Hormones also play an important role in fat disposition. Estrogen can cause increased fat accumulation in your mons pubis.
- Genetics can also be a cause of having an enlarged mons pubis. You can inherit the probability of more fat deposition in your mons pubis due to family history.
These are the probable reasons why you have an enlarged mons pubis. Removing excess fat around mons pubis maybe because of aesthetic purposes or body image concerns. There can be a lot of reasons a person might want to consider monsplasty surgery.
Also read: Multiple C-sections: What Are The Risks?
Things to consider before the monsplasty surgery
When you are sure why you want to have a monsplasty surgery and are ready for it mentally, you still need to consider a lot of things before you go for it. Your surgeon might help you get ready for it. You shouldn’t expect perfection but improvement. Here are some things you need to consider before the monsplasty surgery.
- Make sure you have someone by your side to drive you to and from your surgery and to take care of you 24 hours after the surgery.
- Make sure you do not consume alcohol 2 days prior to the surgery.
- Stop consuming blood-thinning medications 2 weeks before the surgery.
- Stop smoking 4 weeks before the surgery.
- You need to stop using thyroid medications on the day of the surgery.
What is the procedure like?
- This procedure is started by giving you sedation with intravenous medication.
- Next, the mons pubis is made numb with the help of anaesthetic which is injected into your skin.
- A horizontal incision is made between your pubic area and navel and the excess fatty tissue is removed using a scalpel.
- The pubic skin is lifted into a new and tighter position.
- The skin is closed with sutures and skin adhesives.
How is the recovery period?
Once the numbness or sedation is gone, if you don’t have any complications you might be released from the hospital. You will feel discomfort in your lower abdomen and mons pubis. There will be mile bruising and swelling which may last for 2-3 weeks. Recovery generally happens quickly and you need to consider the following things during your recovery period:
- After 1-2 days after surgery, you will be encouraged to walk slowly.
- After 1-3 weeks, you will be able to work. However, the swelling will last up to 3 weeks.
- After 4-6 weeks, you may be able to do physical activity. Little swelling may be noticed for several months.
Usually, monsplasty is a safe procedure with a low risk of complications. There may be some complications like getting an infection from the incision made, excessive bleeding or a scar that may be larger and more noticeable.
Monsplasty surgery is beneficial for some people in many ways. You may notice the results immediately. However, the final results are determined after 6 weeks.