Long back, when I was in 10th standard a friend of mine told me that “maths (subject) really depressed her”. That was the very first time when I came across the term “depression”. It took me a really long time to understand it.
While some told me that depression is a mood disorder, others told me that it is a suicidal tendency. Whatsoever, I eventually understood what depression actually is.
However, I always thought that depression can be treated through phycological solutions only. Lately, I got to know about Wellbutrin, which is a drug, which treats depression. In fact, people also rely on Wellbutrin to quit smoking.
Now, the most common question is- Is Wellbutrin really helpful?
To get an answer to this question, you will have to keep reading!! In this article, you can grasp a clear definition of Wellbutrin as well as its side effects!
Take a look!
What is Wellbutrin?
Wellbutrin, that is also known as bupropion, is a well-known drug. Wellbutrin treats depression as well as used to quit smoking.
Other than Wellbutrin and bupropion, the drug has many other names as well including Aplenzin, Forfivo, Budeprion, Zyban, and Chantix.
It is classified as an aminoketone. First, the drug was authorized for clinical usage in the U.S in the year 1985. Wellbutrin is a commonly prescribed antidepressant in many parts of the globe.
In addition to this, it is also less anticipated to result in sexual dysfunction or weight gain, however, it may lead to seizures in susceptible people.
Certain Uses of Wellbutrin
- Depression- Patients suffering from a serious depressive disorder, especially those who don’t respond completely to SSRIs are commonly prescribed this drug as an extra medication.
- Smoking Cessation- People who want to quit smoking are mainly prescribed Zyban tablet (150-mg), or maybe Chantix, two times a day. Also, it is advised to have it without NRT (nicotine replacement therapy).
Side Effects of Wellbutrin
Wellbutrin does not result in drowsiness, however, it can cause several side effects (every coin has two sides!).
Common Side Effects of Wellbutrin
Following are the common side effects of Wellbutrin:
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Trouble sleeping
- Fast heartbeat
- Increased anger
- Hearing changes like hearing unreal noises or ringing in the ears
- Abnormal heart rhythms
In case, you experience any of these side effects mildly, then you do not need to worry as it will go away within a couple of weeks or some days. On another hand, if they are serious or do not go away, one should definitely consult a doctor or a pharmacist.
Some Serious Side Effects
It is always advised to go to a doctor immediately when you experience certain serious side effects. There are numerous severe side effects as well as their symptoms. Following are some of them:
Mental health effects
The symptoms of mental health effects include:
- Suicidal or dying thoughts
- Attempts to commit suicide
- Worsened or new depression
- Worsened or new anxiety
- Feeling extremely restless or agitated
- Panic attacks
- Trouble sleeping
- Worsened or new irritability
- Acting violent, angry or aggressive
- Acting on very dangerous impulses
- An utmost increase in talking as well as activity
- Other abnormal changes in mood or behavior
The symptoms of eye problems include:
- Eye pain
- Redness or swelling in or around the eye
- Certain vision changes including double vision or blurred vision
The symptoms of seizures include:
- Staring spells
- Jerking movements of your legs as well as arms, which you cannot control
- Loss of consciousness
It is not necessary that Wellbutrin suits everyone. Mainly, people suffering from liver or kidney issues, bipolar disorder, diabetes or high blood pressure should say no to this drug.
Also, people who consume a lot of alcohol should not rely on it.
Everything in this world has two sides- positive & negative! For people who face any kind of issue following the usage of it, then they shouldn’t use the drug and further discuss it with a good doctor.