You must be having the best hair at the time of your pregnancy period. The beautiful voluminous and lustrous hair is quite the result of your changing hormones, the multi-vitamins, and the good diet.
But you might be getting or will be getting a problem post-delivery. Postpartum hair loss is a common issue almost every second woman complains of.
Along with mood swings, depression, and sleep deprivation, hair fall too is the part of the postpartum package. We will let you know everything about postpartum hair loss causes, the treatments and a few home remedies.
Why the hair loss after pregnancy?
It is not a random body change but there is a scientific reason behind it. At the time of pregnancy, the body experiences soaring estrogen and progesterone levels which makes the hair grow better with lustrous shine and beauty.
After delivery, the hair remains in the resting stage for approximately three months before it falls out and the new growth appears. This condition is short-term and a woman might regain her normal hair growth 6 to 12 months after the delivery.
How much postpartum hair shedding is considered normal?
Finding hair strands on the pillowcase or the drain is normal, the question is what quantity of hair loss after baby is normal?
Losing about 80 hairs a day is well in the normal margin but if the new moms are shedding about 400 hairs a day, then that is considered an extreme condition.
Excess hair loss is also okay if it decreases with time. But if the hair fall is not diminishing then it might be an indication of changing levels of ferritin or thyroid problems in the body. This needs to be consulted by a doctor.
There are some at-home treatments that can be adopted to manage the hair fall problems:
- Change your shampoo: If your hair loss after baby is creating quite a trouble, you need to switch your shampoo. Opt for a better protein-rich shampoo that will coat the hair follicles, making the hair thicker and denser. Use a good quality medicated shampoo.
- Opt for a better conditioner: Conditioners are the best way to replenish the hair vitamins and to make them moisture-rich. Use a conditioner that is specially formulated for fine hair and helps in hair growth and keeping the hair strong and healthy.
- The right application of the conditioner: It is very important to use the conditioner in the right way. Conditioner must be applied on the ends of the hair and should not touch the scalp. Conditioner on the scalp will only worsen the hair loss problem. It is meant to be used on the length and not the scalp.
- Do not use intense conditioners: Intense heavy conditioners are a strict no-no for hair loss problems. They are heavy on the hair and can cause immense damage.
- Look out for nutrient deficiency: Hair loss could be due to a lack of nutrients in the body. Lower levels of zinc, iron, magnesium and fatty acids can trigger hair loss. If there is any of the deficiency then you must start supplements to cater to the problem.
Home remedies to cure hair loss problem post-delivery
Here are some of the simple home remedies that you can adopt to curb the problem of postpartum hair loss:
- A few additions to the diet: A few of the food items help in rescuing the hair loss problems. It helps to fill up any nutritional deficiency that might be the reason for postpartum hair loss. Adding fenugreek seeds will promote hair growth, hair strength, and make the hair soft and smooth. Other than that, egg whites, curd, Indian gooseberry, flax seeds, and dry fruits also help greatly with the hair loss problem, and it is also great for breastfeeding mothers as it makes the breast milk healthier for the baby.
- Head massage: Massaging the hair regularly with different oils like coconut, olive, mustard, etc. helps to increase the blood circulation in the head, therefore, decreasing the problem of hair loss after baby. These oils make the hair healthy, smooth, and nourished.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera is rich in those vitamins and minerals that help to promote hair growth. It not only moisturizes the hair but also makes the scalp healthy by maintaining the right pH balance. Just apply aloe vera on the scalp and leave it for thirty minutes before washing. Do it thrice a week for better results.
- Yeast hair mask: Yeast hair mask is absolutely great for postpartum hair loss. Washing the hair with beer can do the drill. It contains folic acid, biotin, and riboflavin which may enhance hair growth. It provides adequate strength and shine to the hair.
- Stress management: Not just in the postpartum condition but hair loss is directly related to stress in any person. It is very important to manage your stress levels in order to keep your hair loss problems and bay. Practice different relaxing techniques like meditation, yoga, and mindfulness. Postpartum depression is also directly related to hair loss. Make sure to consult a doctor if you feel highly anxious, angry, depressed, or overwhelmed.
How long does postpartum hair loss last?
It is important to make yourself understand that postpartum hair loss is a temporary condition and will eventually go away. But the question is ‘when’? For the majority of women, postpartum hair loss is a 4 months long problem but it can continue for several months. Hair loss decreases with time. Postpartum hair loss can be there from 6 to 12 months post-pregnancy.
Hair loss can be startling and distressing post-delivery. You need to be very patient as it is a temporary condition and shall pass. So keep yourself calm and take care of your baby and everything will be fine with time.