Why use a premix when you can make your own version of gooey and fresh brownies with household ingredients? When you make brownies from scratch, you put in the extra effort to make them much more delicious and soft. With crispy sides and gooey centers filled with chocolatey goodness, there is nothing quite like a batch of warm, home-cooked brownies to turn a frown upside down. But where to find the perfect homemade chocolate brownie recipe?
The brownies we had in our childhood were the epitome of perfection. However, we rarely get to recreate that feeling when we make brownies from a boxed premix. That is because brownies made from scratch have that inherent goodness that makes them disappear in the blink of an eye. Sure, they are just as delicious as homemade ones, but there’s just a little something missing. Don’t you feel the same?
Well, the good news is, if you resonate with this too, this homemade chocolate brownie recipe is made for you. With all household ingredients, you can whip up a quick batch and earn the collective respect of your family and guests for your baking skills. But shh! Don’t tell them we gave you the idea!
Tips For Homemade Salted Caramel Brownies
Before we move on to the ingredients and recipe, it is important to note a few facts and figures regarding brownies. These tips will give you an edge when recreating the homemade chocolate brownie recipe we will discuss here.
- Always go for unsweetened cocoa powder when you buy the cocoa powder required to make the best brownies recipe. This is important because many people go for sweetened cocoa powder, which can affect the taste and the structural integrity of the brownies you bake. You could also use the extra dark cocoa powder available at your local store.
- Using a 9 by 13 square pan lined with parchment paper is best to cut your homemade chocolate brownies into perfect squares. If you do not have parchment paper, we advise you to invest in it just to see how life-changing it can be for all the dishes you bake. You can find them easily at your local supermarket.
- Always make sure that to make scratch brownies easy, you have cooled them down completely before cutting them into squares. Otherwise, they might crumble and break down if cut while still hot. Moreover, you won’t get the crispy top layer if you do not wait for them to cool down first.
- Chocolate chips are a brownie’s best friend. In this homemade chocolate brownie recipe, we use mini chocolate chips.However, you can use any variation of chocolate chips you want. With every bite, these chips melt in between the brownies and give that extra gooey taste.
- You could also add candy bars or sprinkles in between the layers of brownies to give an added kick to them. Basically, you can customize this homemade fudgy brownie recipe any way you want to make it more your style and have greater control over the ingredients.
- Lastly, you can add a layer of chocolate frosting or glaze to the brownies once they have cooled off before cutting them into pieces.This homemade chocolate brownie recipe goes very well with vanilla ice cream topping. Mix ‘n match to find the right flavor palates for yourself.
Easy Brownie Recipes With Few Ingredients
You can make homemade fudgy brownies that just taste as good (or even better) than box brownies with these key ingredients- all-purpose flour, salt, and chocolate chips. However, here are a few more ingredients that you can use to raise your brownies to perfection.
- 2 Eggs and water- instead of baking powder, you can use 2 eggs and a little bit of water to whip up a batch of gooey homemade brownies. This gives you that fudgy consistency in brownies made with boxed premixes, but you do not have to add any commercial emulsifiers. This way, the brownies also puff up while being baked.
- Powdered sugar- although adding whole sugar crystals might give you a bite of sweetness here and there, powdered sugar contains cornstarch. This ingredient helps in making the batter for this homemade chocolate brownie recipe thick without adding any extra chemical additives.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- as we already mentioned, unsweetened cocoa is the best way to make brownies taste good.
- Oil- you do not usually see a brownie recipe with oil, but this gives a different flavor profile to the brownies that melted butter does not. You can use canola or olive oil if you feel whimsical.
- Vanilla extract- this is a quintessential ingredient for almost every baked dessert. For this homemade chocolate brownie recipe, you can also use ½ tablespoon of vanilla extract to amp up the flavor profile.
How To Make Brownies Step By Step
Now that you know which ingredients to use, let us move on to the recipe for these delicious homemade brownies. Follow these steps to easily make the perfect gooey fudgy brownies at home.
1. Mix the Wet and Dry Ingredients Separately.
Most people make the mistake of mixing wet and dry ingredients when they make homemade brownies. This can affect the integrity of the brownies as well as render them not as delicious. In our homemade chocolate brownie recipe, we mix the wet and dry ingredients separately in different bowls.
Combine the flour, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder in one bowl. Then add eggs, oil, and water in a separate bowl.
2. Combine the Wet and Dry Ingredients
Once the wet and dry ingredients are mixed thoroughly, they are combined in a large mixing bowl. Make sure to always use the folding technique while combining sweet desserts. This makes sure all the ingredients are distributed and mixed evenly.
3. Pour the Batter Into a Baking Tray
Once the mixture ods fully combined (make sure there are no lumps), the next step of this homemade chocolate brownie recipe is to pour the batter into a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Use a spatula to smoothen the top and the sides.
4. Bake For 30-40 Minutes
Here comes the final step! Put the baking tray in a preheated oven and bake at 325 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes. Keep in mind that these brownies are supposed to be moist and gooey, so don’t overcook them and make them dry.
We know it takes a lot of self-control, but once you have made this homemade chocolate brownie recipe, you must wait for it to cool down before cutting it into pieces. We have already explained why this is important.
Voila! Your perfect homemade chocolate brownie is ready to be devoured and enjoyed. Make this on a special occasion for your kids or during a movie marathon, and you will get appreciative nods and smiles every time someone takes a bite.