The year 2019 has reached its edge and we are about to welcome the new set of 365 days. This year was a bouquet of good and bad news which also included the loss of some of the prominent personalities who made their life a masterpiece. Some women who were dear to the nation have left us this year. Their achievements and deeds will be written in gold letters in the Indian history. A number of women activists, politicians, and veteran actors have waved us goodbye this year.
This writeup is dedicated to all those formidable women who will be cherished by the generations to come. Let us look upon their achievements and contributions to pay a tribute:
- Sushma Swaraj- An influential BJP leader and former Union Minister passed away at 67 following a heart attack. At a young age of 25, she was appointed as a cabinet minister in the Haryana State Government. In 1998 she became the first female Chief Minister of Delhi and served heartily to its citizens. Having so many firsts to her name, she became the one thrashing the gender disparity. Being the first female spokesperson of a national political party in India and being BJP’s first female Chief Minister, she has left a great mark on Indian Politics. Being an effective parliamentarian, she will forever be remembered as the people’s minister and how she made the Ministry of External Affairs accessible to all.
- Nabaneeta Dev Sen- Acclaimed Bengali writer, literature, and academician served for 5 decades and passed away at 81. In the forms of poetry, novels, short stories, plays and more, she made herself a legend in the literary world. She was the recipient of the Sahitya Academy Award as well as the Padam Shri Title. Not just in writing, she sprinkled her magic also by orating her views and keeping a liberal thinking. At every stage of her life, she used to challenge orthodox thinking and evil norms. With around 100 books being published by Dev Sen, she is forever going to live in the library as well as our hearts.
- Sheila Dikshit– The three times Chief Minister of Delhi Dixit has been the longest-serving CM of the National Capital. She will always be remembered as the face of the fast-changing Delhi with her admirable behavior and work efficiency. She also briefly served as the Governor of Kerala in 2014. Being the face of Congress party, she was born to raise Delhi into a remarkable metropolitan city it is right now.
- Vidya Sinha- a great Indian film actress who won hearts by her performances in Rajnigandha, Choti si Baat and Pati Patni Aur Woh. the owner of a Miss Bombay title back in time, she was also a popular model in her initial days. She acted in over 30 movies within 10 years and won the hearts of millions. Died at the age of 71, Sinha won the hearts all over the nation.
- Geetanjali- The popular actress of over 200 films in Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Hindi, built an illustrious career in cinema. Her debut role as Goddess Sita in Seetharama Kalyanam launched her to the sky of success. She was also a member of the Nandi Award Committee. This yesteryear actress was known to be very poised and content and was proud of her journey in the film industry.
- Anna Rajam Malhotra – She was the first woman IAS officer after independence. Died at 91, she worked under seven Chief Minister and Central Government. She also served with Sh. Rajiv Gandhi in 1982. She also accompanied Smt. Indira Gandhi to her eight-nation tour and was with her during her tenure. Being a hardworking and prominent personality, Anna will always be remembered.
Some personalities may have left us in the year 2019, but their achievements will always remain and their name will always be written in gold. Their remarkable works for the society always made them stand out. May the masses not just look up to these prominent personalities but also follow their ideas and their route to success.