Ever since the first cases of the COVID-19 virus began surfacing in India, the online, as well as offline medicine stores running out of face masks and hand sanitizers, was a common scenario in the country. Most people had no other options but to manage without them and the people who did get their hands on the face masks and hand sanitizers, could get them only in little amounts, usually not even enough for all the members of a family. However, following the lockdown since the 25th of March, accession to them has become more difficult. Although the government is doing its best to provide for these, the country of 1.3 billion manages to get into the crisis phase every now and then.
It’s pretty clear that the only steps that we can take to prevent the deadly vaccine from affecting us is social distancing and maintaining hygiene. However, without hand sanitizers, disinfectants and face masks, the latter becomes difficult right? Of course, you should stay at home and comply with the government in fighting the virus together. But what about the hygiene essentials? Well, don’t worry, we’ve got your back! Here are the recipes of DIY hand sanitizers, DIY disinfectants and the steps to make your own effective DIY face mask!
A tip? Make them together with your family to make it a quality time during lockdown!
DIY Hand Sanitizers
To make your own DIY Hand sanitizer at home the required materials are:
1. Isopropyl alcohol which consists of 99 percent of alcohol by volume
2. Aloe Vera gel
3. Essential Oils like lavender or tee tree oil. If essential oils aren’t available, lemon juice will be a good substitute.
Got the ingredients? Here’s the procedure!
1. Add 3/4th cup of isopropyl alcohol in a bowl.
2. Then, add 1/4th cup of Aloe Vera in the same bowl.
3. At last add 10 drops of the oil or lemon juice to the mixture.
4. Mix the solution with a spoon.
5. Beat the solution to turn it’s texture to a gel
6. Use an empty hand sanitizer bottle or any airtight pump bottle to store and use it.
Done with the DIY Hand Sanitizer? Here’s how to make your own DIY Disinfectant!
Considering the current situation, disinfectant plays a major role in protecting us against the deadly Covid-19. However, until the lockdown lasts, it can be pretty hard to get your hands on one if you run out of it. The solution? Your own DIY Disinfectants!
The diluted bleach solution can act as a strong disinfectant.
Quantity- 1/3rd cup bleach for 1 gallon of water.
- Since many materials react with bleach, always clean a surface with water and detergent before using the bleach solution.
- Always wear gloves before dealing with bleach.
- Don’t mix the bleach solution with anything other than water.
- Don’t use the DIY Disinfectant for doing laundry with detergents.
- Refrain from using the DIY Disinfectant on metal surfaces daily as bleach can corrode metals over time.
DIY Face Mask
Face masks were the very first to go out of stock in the COVID-19 crisis. That’s reasonable since they’re the ones you need the most. You need to keep them on whenever you’re outdoors and sometimes even indoors and unfortunately, we can’t reuse them more than once or twice. A plus point? They’re pretty easy to make too! Here’s how to make your own DIY face mask and save yourself from the deadly COVID-19!
- Cotton Fabric
- Elastic Rope
1. Put the right sides of cotton fabric together.
2. Starting at the center of the bottom edge, sew to the first corner and stop. Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
3. Sew to the next corner, stop and bring the other end of the same elastic to the corner and sew a few stitches forward and back.
4. Now sew across that top of the mask to the next corner. Again put an elastic with the edge out.
5. Sew to the next corner and sew in the other end of the same elastic.
6. Sew across the bottom leaving about 1.5” to 2” open and stop to cut the thread. Turn it inside out.
7. Pin 3 tucks on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are the same direction.
8. Sew around the edge of the mask twice.