Nothing annoys a girl more than getting chapped, flaky lips. Lips are the most sensitive area of your body. They are repeatedly exposed to sun, heat, pollution and thus they end up drying out and looking flaky. Chapped lips are hard to cure in a day or overnight. However, by following certain methods and routines you can get rid of the flakiness in your lips and get those amazing soft, supple, pink lips you wish for.
1. Stay hydrated
It’s been repeated time and again in history, well not technically, but it is widely known that keeping your body hydrated pays off directly in the matters of skin. Drink water regularly and add more fluids in your diet. This helps in the nourishment of the lips and keeps them from drying out quickly.
Lips are prone to drying out quickly when dehydrated. Also, lips lack any oil glands, so they can’t moisturize themselves. Therefore, it is essential to find the best type of lip balm or lip moisturizer for yourself and apply it on a daily basis.
Many lip balms contain mint or methanol which aim to provide a cooling sensation to the lips but end up drying them instead. So, watch out for ingredients like methanol, camphor or phenol when buying a lip balm.
Look for lip balms that contain moisturizing ingredients like shea butter, petroleum, coconut oil, lanolin, ceramides or beeswax. These are some of the best moisturizing agents and will make your lips soft and smooth instantly.
Winter weather calls for dry lips and dry skin. If you live in much dry air weather you should consider getting yourself a humidifier at home. It adds moisture back into the air, thus providing you with the exact amount of moisture you need after a long day of exposure to dry air.
4. Avoid Smoking
Aside from the other fatal effects of smoking, it can also be the reason for your chapped lips. Smoking is bound to irritate the area around your lips and your lips; hence it results in chapped lips. Additionally, smoking can also cause other problems in the mouth like mouth ulcers and gum pain. Chapped lips start clearing up as soon as you stop smoking because the skin begins to heal. So, if you really want the kind of lips you desire, you might want to put a stop on your smoking habits too.
5. Natural Lip Remedies
There are many home-made remedies you can try for getting soft, smooth lips. These remedies will soothe and moisturize the skin on your lips, making it less chapped and flaky:
- Green Tea: Soak green tea bag in warm water for a few minutes, and gently rub it over your lips to soften them. Green tea contains antioxidants and minerals, polyphenols which are known to reduce inflammation of the skin.
- Aloe Vera: Rub some aloe vera gel on your lips directly. Aloe Vera contains minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and anti-inflammatories that are known to soothe and re-hydrate the damaged lips.
- Coconut Oil: Applying coconut oil to your lips every day can make them look pink and supple. Coconut oil soothes and softens the pain of dry lips.
- Honey: is a highly moisturizing ingredients. It contains antioxidants and antibacterial properties that help in preventing any infections that might develop on chapped lips. Apply honey every day about 2-3 times for the best results.
- Cucumber: Cucumber can gently moisturize your lips and it also contains minerals and vitamins that hydrate your lips and make them look better than they are.
Dry and chapped lips make your lips covered with a dead layer of skin cells, which should be removed from time to time in order for your lips to rejuvenate and look healthy.
Exfoliation helps in removing the dry skin from your lips and helps the skin to breathe underneath the lips.
You can also use home-made lip scrubs for better results. One of the best-known DIY Lip scrub recipes is the Sugar Scrub recipe;
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
Simply mix all these ingredients in a bowl and transfer your scrub into a container with a lid. Use this scrub to exfoliate your lips gently for 1-2 minutes, in a circular motion. This is bound to make your lips look less chapped and healthier.
These are all the steps involved in getting soft, supple pink lips that you want. Follow these methods on a regular basis and you will not be disappointed.