There have been many instances of nip slips or nipple slips throughout the history of fashion. The entire trajectory followed the same pattern. The overhyping of these moments not only exhibit low intellect but also, systemic objectification and misogyny. A tradition that was prevalent in the 17th and 18th centuries in the West doesn’t deserve to be shamed and mocked. Nipple slips aren’t abnormal or unacceptable. They are as normal as they can get if the normative is what the society stands for. Celebrity nipple slips usually give rise to either controversy or a significant fashion statement. Therefore, they can garner positive, or negative attention. On the other hand, common people have no freedom of any sort, as far as our bodies are concerned. Exposing skin is itself considered inappropriate, let alone nipples.
Also, read: Nipple Piercing & Sex
Free The Nipple
The ‘Free The Nipple’ campaign which began in 2012, was based on a film, named the same, which was being pre-produced during that time. It was meant to establish the fact that nip slips or the public visibility of nipples are not something to be ashamed of. If men can roam freely with their bodies, women can do the same instead of being sexualized at every step of their existence. If men are not termed ‘inappropriate’ when they put out their naked pictures, women shouldn’t be blamed either.
There was just one demand of this social media movement, that is, women should be enabled to free their nipples in public places, both legally and socially. Legally, it is a very important step because that’s how the message would spread. However, how much impact was the movement was able to make is debatable.
Related: Itchy Nipple With Discharge
Celebrity Nip Slips
Celebrity nip slip instances have been going on for a while now. The term itself traces its origin to one such faux pas of 2004. Janet Jackson’s nipple slipped at the Reliant Stadium of Houston, Texas. The event was Super Bowl XXXVIII. When a nipple slip or any other form of wardrobe malfunction can considerably hinder the smooth functioning of an event, it’s also associated with the psyche of the one who experiences it. It can get extremely emotionally taxing for them if it’s not intentional.
10 Iconic Nip Slip Moments
Here are a few nip slip instances:
- Bella Hadid – She has always been bold when it comes to her fashion choices. Her black sheer blouse, paired with black pants at the 2017 Alexandre Vauthier runway show was one such example. She flashed her nipples through the sheer top and posed like a queen.
- Kendall Jenner – The glam icon has never shied away from being open about her nip slips. Whether it’s through her social media posts or live events, Kendall has always supported body positivity. She sported a white dress with a sheet detailing at Cannes, 2018. She attended the screening of ‘Girls of the Sun’ and her deliberate nipple slip looked beautiful and empowering.
- Jennifer Lawrence – Who doesn’t have a crush on this diva? Not somebody we’re aware of! Her style game is always on point. One of her best nip slip moments happened in Newyork in 2018 when she wore a see-through Dior gown. The event was the premiere of ‘Red Sparrow’.
- Cardi B – Performing in a bra at a concert? How cool is that? Our musical goddess is capable of rocking anything and everything, without a doubt. Cardi B performed in a sexy nude bra at the Bonnaroo Music and Art Festival, which took place in 2019.
- Britney Spears – She has a history of nipple slips and doesn’t seem to mind them. One of her hottest nip slip moments was at the Planet Hollywood show in Las Vegas, 2017. Her left nipple flashed through her black, blingy bralet.
- Selena Gomez – A nip slip or a boob slip? Debatable. Gomez was spotted attending an event in 2017 in a white, cut-out dress. The reaction of California? Quite mixed but we’re certainly all for her. If it’s her body, the choice is hers.
- Rihanna – Only if we could carry off outfits like this smokin’ hot singing sensation. With the kind of body she has, it would be unfair to not go for a nip slip. She wore beautiful crystals, instead of a bra at the CFDA Fashion Awards in 2014. The embellished headgear and smokey eyes did complete justice to the dreamy look she had tried to achieve.
- Lady Gaga – A stunning and effortless nip slip is what we expect from a feminist icon like Gaga. Her viral picture from 2015 where she’s seen coming out of Amadeus Pizza, bears testimony to the same. Her left nipple could be seen in all its glory, through her beige jacket. Fashion goals? Hell, yes!
- Kim Kardashian – It would be highly inappropriate to not talk about the Kardashians when it comes to nipple slip. Kim was spotted leaving the Le Royal Monceau Hotel after having a good time with Kris Jenner and Kanye West. Her nip slip moment through her netted peach dress dates back to 2015.
- Miley Cyrus – There’s nothing better than saying goodbye to bras. Cyrus did the same and flaunted her nipples in a chain-link top when she shot for the magazine, ‘Vanity Fair’ in 2019. She was looking drop-dead gorgeous in the pictures that were made viral on social media, post the shoot.
Not a Fan of Accidental Nip Slips? Here Are 3 Tips To Avoid Them
- Try Out Nipple Tapes or Covers – Order pastries or nipple covers for wearing the see-through dress that you’ve been planning to wear for a long time. It gets tricky for heavy-busted women though.
- Wear a Strapless, Backless Bra – With the wide range of lingerie available in the market, you don’t need to worry about support, even when you wear a risky outfit. A nude bra without straps could be your ultimate savior.
- Use double-sided tape – This is a fashion hack used by the top stylists in the world. Secure your dress in place with tape and the adhesive would do its job. However, do invest in good quality tapes that are gentle on the skin and won’t cause rashes or bruises on the skin.
Also, read: Wear A Stick-On Bra For Bust Lift